Golden slime in waterfall rocks-help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! Does anyone know why the rocks in waterfall and stream down to pond have turned a golden orange color? It’s a bit slimy and can be wiped off but is over every rock the water touches. No fish in pond but mule deer drink from it most days. TIA
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 153

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and wonderful pond you have there! I am in Colorado too!

that is just a form of brown biofilm ( algae ) it is quite healthy and can help filter the water. Nothing to worry about, and I would encourage you to keep it that way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and wonderful pond you have there! I am in Colorado too!

that is just a form of brown biofilm ( algae ) it is quite healthy and can help filter the water. Nothing to worry about, and I would encourage you to keep it that way.
Awesome thx!!! So glad it’s not something to worry about!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree it could be just an algae, could be other things though as well like Cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates.

What type of filter system do you have in the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree it could be just an algae, could be other things though as well like Cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates.

What type of filter system do you have in the pond?
Only has a pump and water runs thru aqua flow pond filter mat. Had an overgrowth of filamentous algae and some kind of floating green algae I treated with fountec algaecide And barley power packs. That took care of the problem then all the rocks started tuning golden orange/brown color. Did the same last year. I have no fish in this pond as they are quickly eaten so only use chemicals “safe” for other wildlife that drinks it. New to this all so advice appreciated!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! It’s prob around 800 gallons(guesstimate) It’s actually 2 small pond waterfall areas connected by stream like run down to bottom larger pond.

Ask a Question