Golden tench disease

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 3500L pond with a mix of 8 fish ( koi, goldfish and orfe as well as a nice 14" golden tench. Well I had until today when I found the tench dead. I noticed he was not feeding the past two days but he never had as Bigbelly an appetite as the koi and gold fish so I was wasn't overly alarmed.
When I removed him I saw he has multiple large red lesion / marks on both sides of his body (see pics). These lesions were not noticeable yesterday.
Any ideas on what these lesions are and how he would have died so suddenly would be greatly appreciated.
B8AD81D4-4C90-435C-AABE-D2E5668EB474.jpeg
05ED3F53-FE1F-41EA-B870-045EF8F9E0A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Awww, I'm so sorry. I don't know what would cause the "spots" to be round. I've read about ulcers / lesions being bacterial infections......but not heard of them being round shaped.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Awww, I'm so sorry. I don't know what would cause the "spots" to be round. I've read about ulcers / lesions being bacterial infections......but not heard of them being round shaped.
Thanks Tula. The round shape is odd I agree. To Mmathis' question I did wonder if it was being attacked by one of the other fish but I didn't observe any evidence of that. I do have a large ghost koi and a brown carp in the pond but these two lived with the tench in a previous owners pond for years without any hassle apparently.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was trying to do an internet search and came across this ( it’s actually a link that was on GPF about a year ago) article. May or may not be helpful, but I’m still searcing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to do an internet search and came across this ( it’s actually a link that was on GPF about a year ago) article. May or may not be helpful, but I’m still searcing.

Thanks. These spots look similar to the ones on my tench so may well be the same bacteria causing it. My pond test kit checks ammonia, nitrite and phosphates which are all fine but it doesn't have a nitrate test. Could it happen that Nitrates are high but Nitrites are low? In any case I'm going to get a kit that has a nitrate test just to be sure.

Ask a Question