Goldfish and Koi

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Welcome to the GPF! I have no specific recommendations for your area, but I would encourage you to buy from a reputable dealer rather than a chain type pet store (no names mentioned!) While many of us have had the feeder fish that turns into a real beauty and becomes a favorite, pet store fish are often sick, weak or both by the time they get into the sale tank. A good fish dealer will have stringent quarantine processes that will give you a better chance of bringing home healthy, strong fish.

Do you currently have a pond? If so, how big? One thing to consider when choosing fish is that goldfish are much better suited to a typical garden type pond. Koi, while very beautiful, need lots of room to grow. You'll find that many of us love our shubunkins, comets, and fancy fantail goldfish as much as any koi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Others on here may be in your area, and if they have a baby boom, you can often get fish free or much more affordable than from a seller. Patience. Also, if your pond is new, you want time for it to get established with all it will need to support fish. Start with just one or two, give it a week, then add one or two more, then another week, then three or four. A good rule of thumb is one koi per 1000 gallons of water, 60 gallons per goldfish, and expect babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you guy! I like Koi because of its larger size, but i know my pond is not big to house more than two koi at 1000 per koi. How big do goldfish get? I am reading about 12inches?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get shubunkins, mine are around 8-10 inches beautiful colors and so not fussy like koi are. I have a big enough pond I could easily have koi and refused. Here are a few of mine.
20160912_122713.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is beautiful! Did you get them from a local breeder?
Yes we have a fish hatchery around 20 minutes from our house. They have koi, goldfish, tadpoles, snails, fan tails, etc. A lot of huge mud ponds they grow them in.

Ask a Question