Goldfish and Shubunkins With burn like ailments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large back yard pond which is about 5000 gallons. In the pond there is a mix of koi, goldfish, shubunkins, tench, sturgeon etc.

Some of the fish in the pond have been affected by parasites which are leaving what looks to be like burns on them.

We’ve tried a mix of things to try and cure the water but nothing seems to be working

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what could be causing this and what we could do ?

Attachments

• E08E7B6F-B969-41C5-B53B-1149DA613895.jpeg
    E08E7B6F-B969-41C5-B53B-1149DA613895.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2,000
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, my. Definitely ulcers. Have you seen parasites on the fish? A parasite could start a wound that got infected and ulcerated, but poor water quality could also cause it.

Welcome to the GPF! Sadly, you (like many others) find the forum when you have are having a big problem to solve. Hopefully you will stick around and soon be enjoying your pond again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I check the water regularly using a PondLab 200 test kit and the results are always as expected. Ammonia, Nitrite, nitrate and Acidity readings are all acceptable and i do not believe these to be the cause. Does any one have any suggestions on how i can go about treating this if it is a parasite infection?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with that brand of test kit, is it a liquid/drop based test kit? What are the actual results that you are getting because they can look "fine" to us sometimes but when other's interpret them they might see something that's a little off. I'm not a fish disease expert but I have used a product called "Crystal Clear KnockOut Plus" to treat parasite infections in the past. However, It's hard to recommend something without really knowing the precise cause which is one thing that makes treating fish illnesses so difficult and frustrating at times.

Ask a Question