Goldfish and Water Hyacinth

Reaction score
What if you were to build a net hammock for the hyancinth to sit in? You could use pond netting and hook it to the side of the pond and then place the plants in it.

Reaction score
Koi606302008.jpg

In the upper right corner you can see my water lettuce. I made a 4" x 2" ... square out of 1/2" pvc pipe and painted it black. The pink string doesn't do justice, but it holds it in place. My koi leave them alone, but you could easily add something to the bottom, like screen or some type of net to keep the fish from the roots.

The 1/2" pvc floats right on top of the water. If you look in the left mid left of the picture you can see the feeder ring I made, out of 1" pvc pipe. That floats up a bit and more noticeable.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Great ideas! Never thought of a feeder ring but now I will build one. I have been using 3/4" thinwall for years to make my safety net to protect the Koi. Home Depot sells a 36" wide plastic fencing that makes awesum protective netting when tie wrapped to the PVC frame.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Re the water Hyacinth:

Why do you care? It is healthy for the fish and if you have enough, it will grow faster than they can eat it. I have so much, I'm trying to get rid of it.

Greg373

At a loss
Reaction score
I need to do a water test then because mine is turning brown. Is it possible for it to get too much sun? When I tested it 2 weeks ago it was PERFECT, Ph 7.0 and 0 on amm.,nitrites and nitrates. I did put some algaecide in a while back, should I do a water change?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Water does not turn brown because of algae. You must have dirt, silt or other elements getting into the water. If you take a sample in a tall clear glass and let it set for an hour, does the water turn clear and have a lot of sediment in the bottom? If not then your water is stained and the only way to clear that is with activated carbon.

Greg373

At a loss
Reaction score
I do have salt. I checked water last night and the Ph was 6.0. I guess I'll be doing a water change tonight.

Ask a Question