Goldfish are gone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very sorry for the loss of your fish. I too am adjusting to a fishless pond after rehoming our 4 adult koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is there any hiding place in the pond? I thought I had lost all 10 of my shubunkins after a blue heron raid; the pond was empty for nearly 2 weeks! Turns out, 1 had been eaten and the remaining 9 had all gone into an overturned plastic tub I have on the bottom of the pond (with a pair of entry holes cut into the sides) for just such a purpose. They stayed there with not even a sliver of fin or scale showing until they were SURE the danger had passed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I lost some of my goldfish to the Great Blue Heron. Actually caught him red handed (or is that orange billed) with one in his mouth. I chalked it up to population control. Unfortunately, the GBH took my oldest, largest ones. The others managed to hide among the plants and the two clay pots laying on their side.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's ashame you don't live in uk. I'm having about 50 decent goldfish rehomed as I have too many.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Well, they have been with me for several years . I looked, poked, and prodded, in every hidey hole. To no avail. I guess I'll let it go 'till spring. Then introduce some fish of some kind. Probably some sort of bait fish, until I can find out what's getting them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Well, they have been with me for several years . I looked, poked, and prodded, in every hidey hole. To no avail. I guess I'll let it go 'till spring. Then introduce some fish of some kind. Probably some sort of bait fish, until I can find out what's getting them.
Do you have a good hiding spot for them? I have a relatively small pond (900 gallons) and have not lost a single fish...I have a resident water snake, two resident Giant Egrets and a turtle with no fish loss. When I had my pond built I asked them to put in a fish cave at the very bottom and mine hide in there for days if threatened...Nothing seems to be able to get them in there....yet.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If they are indeed gone, I am sorry for you...In the Spring think about adding a really good fish cave down low (how deep is your pond?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
They have several places to hide. various fish "caves". They have been with me for several years.

Ask a Question