GoldFish are laying on the bottom of my pond !!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 12 goldfish and decided to bring a new one into the pack. I quarantined for a few days and then let him go. He died after a week !! Now my other fish are laying on the bottom. They still eat which is good. I have tested the water it is fine. I have given them a salt bath and added ick meds just in case. Im at wits end!!
This horrible scenario happened to me 2 years ago and I lost all my fish. Is there any advice of what i can do ?
Thank you !
Fish mom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It would help to know more about your pond, gallons, filtration and number of fish etc. We're glad to have you here, but sorry you're going through this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Tell us what symptoms you saw, what your test results are, size of pond, filtration, how many fish, etc.
Quarantine is a time that you keep new fish isolated till you know they are healthy. I don’t know how long others do it, but you want to give the fish time to show if it has any illness or parasites, so I’d guess about 2 weeks. The quarantine tank should be filled with water from your pond, and there should be no cross contamination from the new fish to the pond, so no dipping a bucket in the quarantine container then back to the old pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is 400 gallons and there are 10 fish from little 2inch to 12 inches. We live in Kentucky. We have a pump and a water fall. I dont know what kind of pump my husband does that part. I test the water once a week and it is always good. There have been no symptoms except laying on the bottom. They still eat swim around a little then back to the bottom. I have treated again today with the ick medicine. Hoping that it will help!! I just can't believe I am back in this same situation as before. These fish I have now I got from a friend that was selling her house so they came together. The new fish that died didn't have anything strange on it. I got it out immediately when I saw it was laying around. Thank you for any thoughts on how I can save my fish.

Attachments

• 15647832698645645352532052628510.jpg
    15647832698645645352532052628510.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 15647833414135288164393284708118.jpg
    15647833414135288164393284708118.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 224
Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is 400 gallons and there are 10 fish from little 2inch to 12 inches. We live in Kentucky. We have a pump and a water fall. I dont know what kind of pump my husband does that part. I test the water once a week and it is always good. There have been no symptoms except laying on the bottom. They still eat swim around a little then back to the bottom. I have treated again today with the ick medicine. Hoping that it will help!! I just can't believe I am back in this same situation as before. These fish I have now I got from a friend that was selling her house so they came together. The new fish that died didn't have anything strange on it. I got it out immediately when I saw it was laying around. Thank you for any thoughts on how I can save my fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am seeing some spots on a few of the fish ? Is there any hope should I get them out of there ? HELP !!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm so sorry this is happening! Please clarify a few things:

What are your exact numbers from the water tests?
How did you "give a salt bath"?
What medication are you using?
Are you sure of the pond dimensions?

Reaction score
Country
United States
All numbers except hardness were normal. But the last test was after i added epsom salt. They are much worse today so i suppose i just have to watch them die. They are covered in spots and their poor little fins are pitiful. All because I decided to add one new fish !! I am about to give up on this hobby. Its just cruel to have to watch!! Is there anywhere to buy good quality healthy fish out there ? The meds were ick and now i am heavy dosing with Melafix. All 12 have the symptoms but 2 are still swimming like normal. Should I take them out ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not even close to being an expert on fish disease, so I don't really have much to offer in that regard. I would guess that once they have the symptoms there isn't much point in removing them.

I'm not sure about your choice of Epsom salt in the pond. I am not an advocate of salt in the pond under any circumstances, but I have never heard of Epsom salts being used. Here's an interesting video regarding salt for fresh water fish:

I really like this vet - he's easy to follow and has lots of experience with all kinds of situations. He discusses why you would use an Epsom salt bath - for constipated or egg bound fish - and why you use sea salt - for parasites or illness. Again - salt in a pond is a topic that has been discussed widely here. Some think it's a must; others are not in favor of salting a whole pond.

I'm sorry this has been so heartbreaking for you. I know how you feel - we lost 10 big koi over the winter last year and then had a parasite problem the killed off half of our remaining goldfish. It is hard to watch.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have 12 goldfish and decided to bring a new one into the pack. I quarantined for a few days and then let him go. He died after a week !! Now my other fish are laying on the bottom. They still eat which is good. I have tested the water it is fine. I have given them a salt bath and added ick meds just in case. Im at wits end!!
This horrible scenario happened to me 2 years ago and I lost all my fish. Is there any advice of what i can do ?
Thank you !
Fish mom

Hi Anne,
Just a thought, (I live in Manitoba, so not a problem so far) what is your temperature? How deep is the pond? Maybe fthe fish are trying to stay cool?

regards, Mark

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you !
Fish mom
Anne, my pond is the same size as yours. My fish have done this a few different times - but only when a predator has visited the pond; most recently a great blue heron who, sadly, snagged a few of them. The survivors stayed as low as they could (and in the hiding places I gave them) for a few weeks. Now they are active again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you !
Fish mom
Anne, Are you doing water changes? 25 percent with declor. Check the nitrate and nitrite. Then are the lined up in the bottom like logs of wood?? If yes treat them for internal parasites. If you just lost a bunch and less than a few weeks added more it is parasites, water, or filter...you may want to do a big water change right away. I would go up to around 40 persent. Declor and see if they get better. If at all possible treat the ick with heat not chems. that will stress them to at this point though. Move the fish that are swimming. Yes. Something is in the water or fish..write me..Tim

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not a big proponent of water changes myself. I know it's an either or subject, but I just think that it's an aquarium keeping convention that many have carried over into ponds and they just aren't the same thing. Your pond gets fresh water in the form of top offs and rain, but the whole goal of getting a balanced pond is maturing the pond water. We were told early on that it can take three full years for a pond to find it's balance. Constantly changing out the water is only going to delay or prevent that from happening.

Just my two cents!

Ask a Question