addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hope he put it back as there was no reason for him to kill it.

He pulled it out of the refrigerator and a plastic bag, so don't think he put it back. One large goldfish

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Actually in many states it is illegal to release it back. Back in 2009 there was a Koi caught in Toledo bend lake on the Louisiana Texas line. I've heard of several anglers reporting seeing groups of the swimming and spawning in the lake during the spring and the DWLF has requested any that are caught be removed from the lake. Sure wish I could have caught this one and taken it home alive! http://www.beauregarddailynews.net/article/20090424/NEWS/304249973

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What do you mean.............what do you do w/ a goldfish?..................well you build a pond like the rest of us nuts :goodnight: :LOL:

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
When we had fish most were Goldie's. The oldest were easily in the pound to pound and one half range. They ate only the best quality food and at the appropriate time. Hell, they probably ate better, per sae, than some people. Gosh, the impact of that last sentence just hit me.

Reaction score
Disappointed that both fish caught were allowed to die. The one in the OP, sure, it may have "just" been a gold fish, but I'm sorry, if you are not going to eat what you catch, there is no reason to kill it. Toss it back, or in the case of this guy who didnt belong there, give it to someone to relocate properly.

Also, why does the media need to sensationalize everything? Yes, 15" is a good sized gold fish, but not going to break any records. Sure, report the story, but ohhh they have to go for the drama (sorry, I have a personal dislike for drama chasing reporters). There are enough gold fish lovers here, I wouldnt be surprised to hear a group member has larger. Heck, we have one 7-8 yr old gold fish who looks to be a close cousin of this guy, but is white... other than he is our "water pet" he is nothing special. He started life as a feeder and is just over 12" and we dont have many gold fish LOL.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I dislike killing anything and when needless killing like this happens it makes me unhappy. I would have loved to have that big goldfish in my pond!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
The goldfish's death was a tragedy. As for my mega minnow I erred on the side of ignorance. I was a well educated fresh water sports fisherman. Catching such an oddity I did not know if it was a species that I had never encountered. The humane thing to have done was to release the minnow. I wonder if the minnow was capable of cross breeding?

Reaction score
Ignorance really isnt much of an excuse, even tho we are all guilty of something here and there. That said, you didnt know what it was, so right or wrong, your choice at that time is understandable, This guy knew damn well it was a goldfish and was more interested in knowing if it was a record breaker. Pathetic. He could have kept it alive in a bucket of water and still looked into records. That was senseless.

Shawn

Sweet Pea
Reaction score
I agree, that makes me really sad too! I love the pictures you posted of your pond. We also had to make our pond bigger. We started out with a 800 gal. pond and decided to make a 2,000 gal. pond. We are very happy with the new one we put in last year. We added a waterfall and skimmer. We also added some shubunkins and we now have babies too. I like the bathtub pond you put in, what a great idea.
j.w said:
I dislike killing anything and when needless killing like this happens it makes me unhappy. I would have loved to have that big goldfish in my pond!

Ask a Question