Goldfish changing color?

Reaction score
My goldfish have all come from either Petco's "feeder" tank or from fish my daughters got at carnivals. Question: about a month ago I added 2 goldfish to my pond after a week of quarantine. One was all white and the other was orange with a black stripe down his back. Now the black has almost disappeared. I was concerned that the white fish had disappeared since I hadn't seen her. Late last summer I added a grayish-silver goldfish that I also thought had disappeared. Is it possible they changed color? My pond gets ample sunlight, and I have a good array of plants.

A couple of weeks ago I added 3 fish--one was orange, one was orange and white and the third was orange and black. I think the orange and white is turning more orange. It's funny, because I have an absolutely beautiful sarasa (from the "feeder" tank) that I've had since last fall and she's stayed true to color. I have two orange and black fish. One of them was from a Labor Day carnival and he has stayed true to color. He's solid black with some bright orange areas on his head. The orange and black fish I added a couple of weeks ago appears to be staying true to color.

Any thoughts or ideas?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
With the exception of shubunkins, all goldfish are born a dull greenish colour usually described as "black". Most fish lose this black as they mature, usually before their first birthday. Some, however, will keep this colouration all their lives. I've never seen a fish retain some black, while turning orange or red, but it could be possible. Many will get a brassy tint on their lower surfaces, though. Once the fish has turned white, red or orange (or even yellow), it seldom changes its colour, but it DOES happen occasionally.
John

Reaction score
Of my two orange and black fish, one is probably a year old or so. He is almost solid black, but with some vivid orange spots on his head. I'll have to try and get a picture.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All of my goldfish turned color some are white some are pink looking and some are gold and white .My 2 black ones are white now also

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recall reading somewhere that black is the least stable color in goldfish. And I've noticed that fish I purchased that had black "highlights," lost the black.

I was in PETSMART today (NOT buying fish, BTW, though tempted...) and noticed that one of their "feeder" tanks contained 100% silver-gray goldfish! Not the usual olive-drabby color. And there wasn't a GOLD one in the tank. They were very pretty, but the tank was in typical "feeder" condition, plus I have 11 in QT at present. I would like to know what color they end up.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Two years ago I saw a tank of "Lemon Comets" at a local retailer. About a quarter of the fish had extensive black markings, and REAL black, not the dark green! I talked the young guy working there into catching half-a-dozen of the most strikingly marked fish for me. Two years later, only one of the five remaining fish has any black on it, a spot about 1/4" wide! They are still beautiful fish, though, And I'll try breeding them this year.
John

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I think I had 5 or so completely black goldfish a couple of years ago, and they slowly all changed to orange, except one, it has been at least 2 years and he is still solid black, so hopefully he stays that way.
It might take a while, but the odds aren't good for any of them to stay black.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
All goldfish start out a dark colour and it is a defence against being eaten as they grow older they gradually start to loose their dark colouration and gradually turn into the colour they are ment to be.
In reality all fish are continuing to change througout their lifetime.
Through the use of various Pellets and natural foods we can have a hand in this , we can change both the red, gold and white of them but not the black which is the only thng that is constant and set.
If you wish I could go into a long winded conversation as to the whys of it, or can just say that raw king prawns effects the reds and gold with silkworm pupae effectiing the whites.
Try to experiment with various other foodstuffs to see what you can come up with yourself.
I've never tried this on a shubunkin but you could try them to see what will happen

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
I've noticed this with mine as well. Dark when just hatched, but as they grow, slowly losing the black, and going to the typical orange / red. I have one white one that I think is female. She has a few orange spots on her here and there, but she's mostly white and has been since I got her 3 summers ago. The reason I think she's a "she" is that last year and this, her belly got quite big ( eggs? ), and now I have several goldfish that started out black as fry, but have become mostly orange with some white spots ( her offspring I'm assuming).

Interesting topic as I'm a real fish novice and just bought feeder goldfish and some brown minnows from a bate shop three years ago .. and so far they survive and thrive. Question... should any one know .... seeing as goldies and minnows are in the carp family, is it possible that they can cross breed?

Paul

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My experience seems to be the opposite, but with koi. I've had a few koi who turned from white or gold to black.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
John Koi do and will develope Blaxk (Sumi)but the black is already there under the surface and on koi such as Sankes and Showas will develope black you can normally see it as a blueish grey under the sjin waiting to develope as the koi grows older
This is what to look out for when buying koi in the Go-Sanke group

rgrds

Dace

Reaction score
An update--my previously almost all-black comet named Midnight is now entirely orange and he is now called Midnight Sun.
My other black and orange fish, named Tae, is turning orange.

Ask a Question