Goldfish coloring

Reaction score
OK, I would like to use feeder goldfish for my little pond. I would like to end up with a nice assortment of colors. Is there anyway to know which ones will stay a certain color, or pattern. I would like to buy some tri-colored ones, but I am afraid that they will all end up gold/red.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Being a feeder goldfish I dont think they are the best fish in the world to buy however in saying that they could pick up in a pond situation and colour up.
Feed is another thing to look at when getting the best out of your fish be they like us koi or like yourself goldfish there are some good foods out thre that deal with colour feeding things like silk worm pupea, prawns (King ) raw and many other foods can really help bring things on.
I hope this helps

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go to the store the day they get in their supply. If you go to a store with happy employees they will let you pick and choose among the feeders. They are over crowded, not well taken care of, (I never buy from walmart, too many dead fish even in their good fish tanks) Petsmart here seems to be better quality / care.
I picked out feeders when we first built this pond, (most died due to ph issues when I first built)

I did pick out one pure white with one red spot, she is huge and still doing great, the main mama of the pond. I now have a nice collection of white and gold, white and red fish.

Shubunkins are only around 2 bucks, they have great colors they can add to your pond.

Reaction score
Good idea! I will call to find out when the shipment comes in. I looked at the Shubunkins at PetSmart but they only had 4 and they wanted $6.00 each. Yikes! I know that really isn't a lot, but it was more than the Joi, and the Joi are so shiny, and sparkly. :)

I am not in a hurry, I will keep my looking.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow they are only 2.20 here, about 2-3 inch sized ones.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
RANT ON

Please don't use feeder fish. Seek out your local pond club or someone who has a pond and get fish from them if you don't want to spend money on fish.

Feeder fish are raised and shipped with the intent that they will be soon dead. A typical pet store feeder fish tank needs to have dead fish removed once or twice a day. Adding feeder fish to a new pond can introduce all sorts of nasty things to the pond.

Years ago I ran an experiment. I purchased decent looking feeder fish from the LFS. The received the best care I could give them but no medication. Something like 85% were dead in the first month.

RANT OFF

I know there are people out there who have used feeder fish with good results. Good for you but it is not worth the risk when there are pond owners willing to give away their extra fish.

This week I plan to be culling my pond. Anyone willing to come get them can have all the fish they can use.

Reaction score
Wish you were closer. I'd be happy to give you a few pretty comets (red with white edging on their fins, or near black with gold edging), as well as shubunkins. Just put a few aside last night from the plant/baby pond that I want to keep, and everything outside just spawned again... I'll be posting a bunch to Craigslist.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am not an expert, but here's what I've learned through my own [very limited] experience:

Comet or common goldfish [feeders, usually] that have black will probably lose the black [it's supposedly the least "stable" color].

Fantails, however, that are "calico" or orange and black, seem to keep the black.

Shubies come in all combinations of color, and there are lots of variations. Some are more intense, and some are subdued.

A few years ago, before we had the pond, we bought a few goldfish. My son liked one that had a black "mustache." He named it "Hitler," 'cause it was that kind of 'stache. A month later, we thought "Hilter" had gone to fishy heaven -- couldn't find him anywhere. But strangely, we still had the same # of fish. Now I know :)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I know I made the point about feeder goldfish but these images may help you see what I am saying. The first is a small bag as a fish store would get it from the fish farm. The store I helped out in got two bags like this with 10 times more fish in them.

Live_F162.jpg

Live%20F102.jpg

I have been telling people not to used feeders to cycle their ponds for over 20 years.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your knowledge.

We do have a pond society about an hour from where I am, I just haven't heard much about them. I will do some research on them.

I have only seen listings for Koi on craigslist. And they are usually asking 100 bucks. It is kinda funny, I finally went to a landscaping center that specializes in ponds, and they are selling huge 24"+ koi for 35.00. They only had a few red comets, that were about 6" long. On Wednesday they are supposed to be getting in pond plants, so I figure soon they will be getting more fish too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As for the "cycling" issue, I think most members recommend going ahead and purchasing whatever fish you intend to keep in your pond, just keep the numbers down at first and add fish slowly. At least that's been my understanding.

I have gotten some "feeders," but because I saw some I really liked. Now that I know about quarantining, any additions are treated accordingly. As someone one else recently posted [another thread], you should NEVER get a fish that is obviously ill, and I would never get one from a questionable tank.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
The value of koi based on color pattern always amazed me. The same koi with just a bit different marking goes from treasure to trash. Up to some age the patterns change.

Reaction score
The water in my pond is currently going through the green stage. Until I get plants in the bog, I don't want to add anything to the water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, and another thing about color..... I bought a [yes, feeder] that had a nice shape, but was the "natural" goldfish color -- that sort of greenish gray. I, too, wanted variety! Well, "Mystery" is his name and he is so unusual. Don't know what he looks like from the side [so don't know what his belly color is], but from the top he is solid black! He looks like a shadow! Very pretty fish -- well, I think so, even though he is probably considered an "outcast" in the trade. Had 2 babies show up at the end of last year, and one of them is that same color.

Ask a Question