Goldfish Cut, What should I do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a Goldfish around 6'' long that looks to be like a Gash on top of him/her, I thought it was Fungus but turns out the Wavy Fluffy thing I saw was his skin and it fell off right before the pic. I took these 3 Goldfish from a friends 55gallon Aquarium as it looked too small for the fish and this particular fish had the mark on him when i got him (didn't think anything of it), he/she has been eating well and everyday since i put them in the Pond they have become more alive their color has improved a little as well. Is this something I should worry about or just give it time to heal, or is it Fungus? Thanks for the help! here are some pics. :razz:

Attachments

• Jason Pond Sick Fish.jpg
    Jason Pond Sick Fish.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 408
  • Jason Pond Sick fish 2.jpg
    Jason Pond Sick fish 2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 368

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Jason, It would be best to remove that fish from the rest. Treat separately. What are the water parameters in the pond or tank where it is being held? that would be the first thing anyone will want to know before starting to give any advice. Also go ahead and locate a good antifungal medication. You are definitely dealing with a fungal infection as a secondary infection for sure. What caused this? It could be the primary infection, it could be that the fish got injured and the infection is attacking the injured area, it could be a parasite and the fungus is attacking the entry area that the parasite left. Again water parameters are essential in knowing how to proceed.
I would start off by separating the fish and adding salt to a level of .03-.05ppm. and warm the water to about 70 degrees F. It appears to be pretty advanced stage of infection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh, no :sad: . I will have to get my Levels checked tomorrow! I will be putting him/her in a friends empty 10 gallon for quarantine, The food i feed them has Slime coat so would that help protecting the other fish? They have only been in the pond for 1 week now and the other two (bigger ones, Around 9'') are beautiful with no spots like this one. I didn't think it was fungus because it didn't look like something "growing" on him/her. I also should have mentioned that they lived in a tank with an Oscar that was a little smaller than the one with the wound, I heard Oscars were aggressive so maybe they got into it? Thanks!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My bet is it got injured during moving. But I suspect water conditions first off. If water conditions are really good most fish can fight off infection if the sore or scrape are minimal, but if water conditions aren't in good shape then the infection can spread rather rapidly. Not saying the Oscar couldn't have done this but it doesn't really matter at this point. Right now getting the water checked and getting that fish separated would be the first two steps of action.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, I will Quarantine it when i get home and test my Water Tomorrow and Keep you posted! Thanks for the Help :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, So I tested my water at Petsmart with two different test strips they had and the colors I saw looked good compared to the scale and the Guy said that my levels were all really good and checked out fine (He actually knew a lot about fish!) I put the fish in a friends 10 Gallon Tank yesterday by him/her self with only the filter, pump and aerator in the tank along with the once a day Medicine for treatment. I will keep you posted on the progress, Thanks again :)

Reaction score
It may have started as a cut, and/or fungus may have been involved, but it has progressed to be a bad bacteria infection. You can Google "koi goldfish ulcer" and get a lot of info. It's a pretty bad infection, I would guess antibiotic injection would be the prudent course.

Ask a Question