Goldfish dying

Reaction score
My MIL called me earlier..she has lost two goldfish in the last week,she has not added anything or done anything new..pond is 90gallon preformed,had 8 goldish in it that have been in the pond for 2 years even through winter. I went over to test her water for her because I knew you would want that,also tested ammonia level and it was actually 0? clear? She does not feed her fish often,does have a fountain sprayer thing in it..Her pond has water hyacinths and one water lily,no other plants and mostly in shade. Both fish were fine one day and the next were dead,no fungus,spots or anything?? Weird. She is on well water..any help would be great thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7559.jpg
    IMG_7559.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Dang I thought I had everything you needed lol..she does not have a thermometer but I do so I will let her borrow it. We have had high temps here but the fish do not seem to be gasping for air..could it be the water temp?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That nitrite reading looks very high, actually it doesn't even match the color chart, Nitrates look kind of high too. Was that taken after a rain of before? What is the pond temp,? in a 90 gallon preform the water could be getting pretty hot. make sure and check it after the sun has been on the pond for a good while to see how high it is getting to.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
BTW, I don't know what Billy is looking at, with those readings PH crash is the least thing I would be worried about, PH and KH are high if anything, that PH isn't crashing anytime soon!

Reaction score
Hi Larkin, we have not had any rain in three weeks so it would have nothing to do with the rain..I took the reading yesterday around 6pm. And yes you are right about the reading not even matching the chart, I did it twice just to make sure it was reading right and it never came up with any of those colors so I didn't' know what that meant exactly. I will post her pond temperature later as I did call and have her put in a thermometer but she has had this pond for 4 years with no problems as it is in mostly shade. Thanks for your help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have a liquid test kit try that, my strips don't read anywhere near my liquid kit

Reaction score
I do not have the liquid kind :( Today her water temperature was 70...no more dead fish but still wondering why all the sudden two have died? Up and happy one day and the next floating...What about too many water hyacinths? I took some out and left her with 2 large ones because they were on top of her fountain but it was still bubbling on top..it's a mystery for sure.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
90 gallons of water heats up fast I have a preformed I put in the ground and it is 150 gallon and the water right now is over 105 degrees .I filled it up 2 days ago so I could put some plants in it .I was having a problem with water lettuce and hyacinths growing so thought I would try them in the preformed and where I put it at it has shade from 2 on and it still got hot as heck .I am now trying a tarp over it on stakes and see if that cools it down .And we had rain the last 2 days but temps here are in the high 90's

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
if the fish are sitting in the same water all the time i think that would be the problem as well as the heat you have over there, an air stone would help too if she has one and shade

Ask a Question