Goldfish eat plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Probably nothing. Unless you can talk some sense into them!

What kind of plants are they eating?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh they love that stuff and they thank you for giving it to them. I made floating rings w/fiberglass screen door material attached to the bottoms once to put some plants I wanted to keep safe from the piggy buggers. You can do that for the hyacinth, parrots feather and water lettuce but I'd let them have the delicious anacharis that they love so much. You could save some of the anacharis in a separate tub or pond to grow it so it replenishes itself for feeding them off and on. I would use bigger tubing next time tho as the fish tend to jump over the shorter, smaller stuff and there they are stuck inside the ring w/all your plants.

IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It does seem that once fish start enjoying the vegetation it's nearly impossible to get them to stop. It's their nature, after all. You could try feeding a bit more and see if they'll lay off the salad bar, but if they've developed the taste for it, they may just continue on their merry way!

I do like @j.w plant ring solution.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I never had a problem with my goldfish eating plants, but I had a nice algae blanket on the liner, so I think they mostly snacked on that.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine eat the hornwort, the anacharis, whatever else they feel like snacking on. I have enough plants it does not matter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried putting Hornwort in a mesh bag and tying the bag underwater...worked great till it started growing through the holes (which I wanted it to do) and then the fish started yanking the stuff out of the bag lol...oh well.

Ask a Question