Goldfish - erratic swimming

adam9280

This is where the fish lives.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Im in lower Michigan and I noticed my largest goldfish swimming quickly on its side when I walked up to the pond today. It was also doing small circles and also swimming in one place but turning around.

I would guess the pond is 200-250 gallons but I've never measured it. I have been feeding the 6-7 goldfish flake food every 4 days or so. I have a pump and waterfall. After dinner, I turned on an air bubbler to add some oxygen.

I just went out and added some water to the pond in case the ammonia levels are high. It let me "pet" it which isn't normal.

What is the best guess?
Ammonia poisoning
Swim bladder

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, I would get one and test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH — at a bare minimum!

That’s not how they act with swim bladder issues. Maybe parasites? I’ve never witnessed it personally, but that could be “flashing.” They are attempting to get away from and/or rub off an irritant. If there had been other fish involved, I might think spawning, but it didn’t look like the fish was being “pursued.”

How long has your pond been set up?

adam9280

This is where the fish lives.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, I would get one and test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH — at a bare minimum!

That’s not how they act with swim bladder issues. Maybe parasites? I’ve never witnessed it personally, but that could be “flashing.” They are attempting to get away from and/or rub off an irritant. If there had been other fish involved, I might think spawning, but it didn’t look like the fish was being “pursued.”

How long has your pond been set up?

Good grief. I wrote a long reply and it said I wasn't logged in when I hit post.

Short version... yes, thinking parasites or water condition are best answers. 9+ yr old pond. I need to get a water test kit.

Ask a Question