Goldfish feeding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hi sorry it’s been awhile and I don’t know if this is the right place to post this. I have a question. I’m in central Ontario about an hour north of Toronto. I used a bubble in my shallow pond this year and This is the first year my goldfish actually survived, hence the reason for my question.. I’ve never had to start feeding them in spring before. The temps just got 41 degrees today and I turned off the bubbler and my goldfishies look hungry. When is it ok to start feeding them? We never know what we’re going to get here and I could get a bit of ice in the pond anytime for the next few weeks but we might not get anymore. Is it too early to start feeding or can I?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Air temp is irrelevant, you want to know water temps, but No, not too early, if they are acting hungry and want to eat then it is ok to feed them, just don’t over feed as you don’t want left over food decaying in the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Air temp is irrelevant, you want to know water temps, but No, not too early, if they are acting hungry and want to eat then it is ok to feed them, just don’t over feed as you don’t want left over food decaying in the pond.
My pigs are begging and when I toss in a bit of food it is gone fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
My next question is… there is a lot of leaf litter on the bottom of the pond. I’m concerned about the oxygen levels. With the waterfall not operating yet should I keep turning the bubbler on every few hours to keep the water oxygenated?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My next question is… there is a lot of leaf litter on the bottom of the pond. I’m concerned about the oxygen levels. With the waterfall not operating yet should I keep turning the bubbler on every few hours to keep the water oxygenated?
You said your pond is shallow. Didn't it get really cold up there where you live this winter? How did you keep your pond from freezing solid? I would keep the bubbler (aerator) on all the time to make sure the ice does not cover the pond and will give it more oxygen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes the pond is shallow, about 2.5 feet at the deepest part. The bunker is what kept it from freezing. I had a heater the year before but it still froze over. The bubbler is over powered for my pond. (I got it green a guy that used it for a20 feet deep pond. When it’s on the fish go to the other end. But it really did the job of keeping them alive for the first time. I think we are fine with the temps that would freeze it over so I’m thinking until I can clean it up and the waterfall gets going I should run the bubbler for maybe an hour every 5 or six hours. Does that seem like it would keep it oxygenated enough. The pond is about 20’ but 5’ and then the 2.5 feet deep

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes the pond is shallow, about 2.5 feet at the deepest part. The bunker is what kept it from freezing. I had a heater the year before but it still froze over. The bubbler is over powered for my pond. (I got it green a guy that used it for a20 feet deep pond. When it’s on the fish go to the other end. But it really did the job of keeping them alive for the first time. I think we are fine with the temps that would freeze it over so I’m thinking until I can clean it up and the waterfall gets going I should run the bubbler for maybe an hour every 5 or six hours. Does that seem like it would keep it oxygenated enough. The pond is about 20’ but 5’ and then the 2.5 feet deep
Hmmm, if too crazy of a bubbler making water move too much might not be good. Guess all you can do is try and run it off and on. I'm not sure tho. Maybe someone else can help more. Can you just turn on the falls now or still too cold?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ya still too cold. I think I have a small leak in the stem for the filter/falls as well that I want to look for first. I’ve got the bubble set to come in for 4 hours then off for 4 right now. I’m wondering if I should just set it for only on for 10 minutes or so every 3 or 4 hours though.. thanks for the help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Here’s a short video so people can get an idea of how strong the bubbler is. Sorry it was going to be a video but I guess videos don’t post here

Attachments

• 37680C50-1114-4FB9-AF59-09EEF4532336.jpeg
    37680C50-1114-4FB9-AF59-09EEF4532336.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 5

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here’s a short video so people can get an idea of how strong the bubbler is. Sorry it was going to be a video but I guess videos don’t post here
convert to utube and post the link

Ask a Question