Goldfish fighting each other

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I had a customer call me today to report that her 30 goldfish are fighting and some are even missing a dorsal fin.
She has had these fish for 5 years in a smaller pond (300 gallon) with no problems and now moved them to a 1500 gallon pond that is 3 weeks fresh.
I cannot imagine what could cause 30 communal fish that are normal docile and not territorial to start to be agressive towards each other.
Any thoughts?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I had a customer call me today to report that her 30 goldfish are fighting and some are even missing a dorsal fin.
She has had these fish for 5 years in a smaller pond (300 gallon) with no problems and now moved them to a 1500 gallon pond that is 3 weeks fresh.
I cannot imagine what could cause 30 communal fish that are normal docile and not territorial to start to be agressive towards each other.
Any thoughts?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When ever I cleaned, moved the rocks, moved the gravel in my ciclid tank, the fish would fight to establish their territory. Each fish had a favorite spot in the tank. Otherwise they got along fine with each other.

The goldfish maybe reestablishing their spot in the new pond, alpha fish fights.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When ever I cleaned, moved the rocks, moved the gravel in my ciclid tank, the fish would fight to establish their territory. Each fish had a favorite spot in the tank. Otherwise they got along fine with each other.

The goldfish maybe reestablishing their spot in the new pond, alpha fish fights.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
addy1 said:

correct........

DrDave- when I added my fish from the 400 to the 1200 ,they did the samething.There has to be a leader in the pack in a pond that size. Fred is mine:regular_waving_emot

I added some salt to calm them down,it works. Goldfish are known to be non-agressive,so it should pass.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
addy1 said:

correct........

DrDave- when I added my fish from the 400 to the 1200 ,they did the samething.There has to be a leader in the pack in a pond that size. Fred is mine:regular_waving_emot

I added some salt to calm them down,it works. Goldfish are known to be non-agressive,so it should pass.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why would salt calm them? Salt = alcohol............lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why would salt calm them? Salt = alcohol............lol

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Aquarium salt –provides the crucial building blocks for gill function, reduces the stress in the water. I add a pinch or so anytime I add a new fish. It is a indoor product,that can be used in outdoor ponds.
Again Fred loves it!

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Aquarium salt –provides the crucial building blocks for gill function, reduces the stress in the water. I add a pinch or so anytime I add a new fish. It is a indoor product,that can be used in outdoor ponds.
Again Fred loves it!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I called the lady and she is off to get some salt. Her PH was 8.4 so I suggested she lower that at the same time.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I called the lady and she is off to get some salt. Her PH was 8.4 so I suggested she lower that at the same time.

Ask a Question