Goldfish first time wintering outdoors, appears to have minor infection

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I assume this is due to cold stress and lowered immune system? Pond has been running between 49-55 degrees depending on day and weather for past few weeks (small above ground pond is more susceptible to temp fluctuations). All water parameters are A ok - Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates zero, Ph 8.1 which is per usual for the pond. Kind of doesn’t exactly look like ich, but also doesn’t exactly look like cotton wool fungus (not particularly fuzzy and not on body at all), so perhaps bacterial or viral? There are a couple of flatter, semi-opaque looking spots so it’s not all small clearly defined white spots like ich, all lesions confined to fins only, fish acting normally, no other fish in pond has any lesions or seems sick. This fish is swimming normally and not flashing or showing sick behaviors.

Should I do anything or just wait and see at this point? This is a 2-3 year old shubunkin who lived indoors until this past spring, not sure if she was born in an aquarium or pond. I’m not really set up to bring her indoors on any kind of long term basis, but could set up a temporary 20 gallon hospital tub if need be.

ETA: slightly raised area on left flank ahead of tail is an old scar, not a new injury

Attachments

• 6CA3DB89-8E5A-448D-AF09-54D4E8ECB73A.jpeg
    6CA3DB89-8E5A-448D-AF09-54D4E8ECB73A.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 2C5C0AFD-B4B4-4453-9460-B240FC5F384B.jpeg
    2C5C0AFD-B4B4-4453-9460-B240FC5F384B.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If I'm looking at the picture correctly, I see some white spots on the fins of this fish and that could be ich.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

One of the spots looked more distinctly like someone had just loosely attached a tiny white cotton ball (not quite 1/8” diameter) to her dorsal fin today so I just reached in to try wiping it off (she’s pretty hand tame) and it came right off onto my fingers. Out of the water it was just like a white gelatinous blob, almost like a hardened piece of slime. I assume this means it is almost certainly a fungus? Or is that what an ich cyst would do right at the time of bursting?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Just stumbled across some pics of carp pox and the timing with the cold water temps plus strong similarities to the pics make me wonder if this might be it, but can’t figure out if a healing carp pox lesion would just come off like that.

Ask a Question