Goldfish food

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Any recommendations on Goldfish food? Brands, homemade, how often, flakes vs pellets?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Repashy Super Gold, Super Green, or Soilent Green are all great for goldfish. These are gel style foods that come in a powder. You add boiling water and stir to prepare them, and then refrigerate. They're not the most convenient because every batch you make only lasts in the fridge about a week (unless you freeze it), but they are very well formulated, lack the additives that many solid foods have, and they are less likely to cause constipation/blockage issues because they are wet.

Super Gold - Designed by the Dandy Oranda's fancy goldfish importer specifically for goldfish.
Super Green - Freshwater food with a high spirulina algae content and lower protein levels. Recommended for older fish.
Soilent Green - Freshwater food with high spirulina algae and high protein. Recommended for fry, juveniles, and goldfish that have a wen and need extra protein.

A lot of people will mix super green and soilent green half and half, thinking it's the ideal balance. I don't actually know how Super Gold compares nutritionally speaking.

Omega 1 Sinking pellets are pretty much the best pellets on the market as far as I know for goldfish nutrition. Of course, that could have always changed since I did my research!

Flakes are only worth feeding to very young and small fish in a pinch. They leech nutrients into the water very quickly.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I would go for “ pond sticks” I am pretty sure they are either tetra pond, or api, and they have summer fall and spring foods, although I just use the normal until it is time to stop feeding
Really a personal choice, so If you dint have any goals in particular than just go with whatever you can find locally :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've been using Drs. Foster and Smith Staple Food. Their company is gone, but the food is still available. The last shipment I got was from Petco just this week. I set up autoship and was able to get $35 off my order for this first order. The autoship can be canceled at any time so you aren't locked into that forever.

Ask a Question