Goldfish from another pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
New to this forum and new-ish to pond keeping. Someone not far from was wanting to re-home their fish. So I went to look at them today but most of them looked OK to what I can see but there was a couple that had a few tumour looking things on then, one on its fins and the worse one had them all over it. I had to leave then but felt sorry for them . So was wondering if it contagious and is there anything I can do for them. I want to go back and maybe get the ones that are OK but what can I do for the other ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_172720.jpg
    IMG_20200623_172720.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20200623_172727__01.jpg
    IMG_20200623_172727__01.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 91
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would be very careful in adding any fish from that batch to my pond. But I'm the careful sort anyway. At the least I would quarantine any new fish, from any source actually, for several months before I put them in with my other fish. Since I'm probably extreme with this, I quarantine any new fish for at least 9 months and usually treat them for flukes as a precaution. If anything else turns up, they are treated for that as well.

Those fish may have nothing contagious, but to me, it's not worth taking the chance to mix them with your own. I understand your wanting to help them. They look pretty bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you already have fish in your pond, I would be hesitant in adding those, as others have stated.

That being said, I have a goldfish with bumps that look like that. It has been living and acting normal for many years. None of my other fish have been affected at all. But that doesn't mean it's the same ailment, so be cautious, stay on the safe side. Maybe setup a small barrel pond for them so they have a place to live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I understand your wanting to help them. I agree with the others, I'd set up something separate from your fish to house these fish in.....not fair to your fish to expose them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've not long setup this new pond so at the moment its on my got 3 small fish in it. If I was to just take the fish the look OK and then put them in something else for now how long would I need to keep them in that. What would I need to do before I can put them in the pond. could alway make a small pond while am finishing of the garden for the spotty ones. Apparently they have been like that for ages and the other fish have never showing any sign of them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it's the Herpesviruses looks more like this post

Ask a Question