Goldfish growth rate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I started with a 35 gallon barrel last year and 4 comet goldfish that were about 1.25 inches. Now 11 months later they are 6 inches long and I have built them a new 200 gallon pond. I just put in 5 new shubumkins, about 2 inches long. Do you think the shubumkins will grow like the comets did? I have read hat goldfish growth rates slow down after the first year of life. Is this true? Lastly when could I expect babies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Those shubunkins will grow to 12 inches long, much larger than the comets and will be too big for that 200 gallon pond.
From what I have read the comets will get to be 12 inches also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Not to mention that those 4 comets will soon become 40. And they may also take a liking to your shubunkins, which means co-bunkins. Or shu-mets. Whichever... there are lots of tiny goldfish in your future. Start digging! ;)

Cross breading does not concern me. When the fish get to large or have fry, I have a good friend who owns an aquarium store. He will be more than happy to sell them to new homes. More room is not possible as I have a town house and this is the largest pond I can build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Respectfully, neither of the above answers address my original questions.
Further, wouldn't any pond regardless of size eventually become over crowded? The implication that I should continue to make larger and larger ponds would just seem to be delaying the inevitable over population issue. This is assuming proper care of the fish is taking place of course.
So this brings about another question. regardless of the size of your ponds you must be having to deal with the problem of overcrowding. Just how are you doing that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
There are many variables to growth rates such as; available food, water quality, water changes, number and size of other fish, water temperature, genetics, and health. It's impossible to say whether they will grow like the comets grew. Their growth rate is fastest the first 6 months of life, after that it slows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Oh, as far as babies, that has many variables as well. You can see them starting to spawn at about 1 year of age as long as conditions are right. I have had years with lots of babies and years with none.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Oh, as far as babies, that has many variables as well. You can see them starting to spawn at about 1 year of age as long as conditions are right. I have had years with lots of babies and years with none.
Thank you HomerJay. I realize the are allot of variables are involved with both growth and breeding. I was just wondering what others had experienced.
Do you find that a fish has to be a certain size before it spawns? Did you notice any variables that might have accounted for years without spawning, such as water temp or population?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine spawn every year, most years a few fry make it. I quit feeding when they start spawning, the fish eat up the eggs as fast as they are laid.

So far my pond has kept a nice level of fish.

I have not paid enough attention to know water temps etc, it just happens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Like @addy1 we just let the big fish eat the eggs. We recognize the signs of spawning and stop feeding until it's over. But with 4000 gallons I have room for the few newbies that survive every year. Your 200 gallon pond is already at capacity with the fish you have. But if you have someone who is willing to take the extras, then it's not a concern.

Goldfish growth rate is an interesting question - some of ours have reached full size in a year; others have taken two or three years. I'm guessing it's a genetic thing, but maybe that's my ignorance showing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I started with a 35 gallon barrel last year and 4 comet goldfish that were about 1.25 inches. Now 11 months later they are 6 inches long and I have built them a new 200 gallon pond. I just put in 5 new shubumkins, about 2 inches long. Do you think the shubumkins will grow like the comets did? I have read hat goldfish growth rates slow down after the first year of life. Is this true? Lastly when could I expect babies?
Hi Panzer. The shubunkins can grow at the same rate as comets, but it depends on their genetics and what type of comets you have now. Common comets grow at the fastest rate of any goldfish so if that is what you have the shubunkins will grow slower. Also some shubunkins grow long and slender and some grow more squat and fat. Goldfish can grow at the same rate for 4 or 5 years. There are a lot of variables that affect their growth rate like availability of food and how long of a growing season you have when the water temperature is warm enough so they will eat. I have kept exclusively goldfish and shubunkins for 10 years. I have noticed they are not really interested in mating until they are about 3 years old. I guess a two year old fish can mate but typically they need to be a little more mature. If you have any tobys they might mate sooner because they are so much larger. Sometimes 2 year olds will copy the mating behaviour of older fish but they don't really do anything. I think that answers all your questions. Now as to overstocking. My pond went from 7 goldfish to almost 80 in 5-6 years. The more fish you have the more bioload the pond will have and it will be much more difficult to maintain the water quality. Many new people to the hobby put in too many fish and have too much bioload and their fish die from ammonia poisoning. The exception would be if someone put in a very high quality filtration system but most people don't do that. This is why everyone on GPF warns against having too many fish. My guess is you will be close to full bioload capacity within a year or so as your fish grow, and you will need to make decisions about what to do with them. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Thank you HomerJay. I realize the are allot of variables are involved with both growth and breeding. I was just wondering what others had experienced.
Do you find that a fish has to be a certain size before it spawns? Did you notice any variables that might have accounted for years without spawning, such as water temp or population?
I cannot pinpoint any reasons. It could be my husbandry, or the weather, or the age of the fish that decided to spawn. Maybe all of the eggs were eaten, or parameters weren't right for babies to live. Maybe I didn't play enough Barry White that year ;) :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I cannot pinpoint any reasons. It could be my husbandry, or the weather, or the age of the fish that decided to spawn. Maybe all of the eggs were eaten, or parameters weren't right for babies to live. Maybe I didn't play enough Barry White that year ;) :LOL:
Not enough Barry White, that has to be it LOL. :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Hi Panzer. The shubunkins can grow at the same rate as comets, but it depends on their genetics and what type of comets you have now. Common comets grow at the fastest rate of any goldfish so if that is what you have the shubunkins will grow slower. Also some shubunkins grow long and slender and some grow more squat and fat. Goldfish can grow at the same rate for 4 or 5 years. There are a lot of variables that affect their growth rate like availability of food and how long of a growing season you have when the water temperature is warm enough so they will eat. I have kept exclusively goldfish and shubunkins for 10 years. I have noticed they are not really interested in mating until they are about 3 years old. I guess a two year old fish can mate but typically they need to be a little more mature. If you have any tobys they might mate sooner because they are so much larger. Sometimes 2 year olds will copy the mating behaviour of older fish but they don't really do anything. I think that answers all your questions. Now as to overstocking. My pond went from 7 goldfish to almost 80 in 5-6 years. The more fish you have the more bioload the pond will have and it will be much more difficult to maintain the water quality. Many new people to the hobby put in too many fish and have too much bioload and their fish die from ammonia poisoning. The exception would be if someone put in a very high quality filtration system but most people don't do that. This is why everyone on GPF warns against having too many fish. My guess is you will be close to full bioload capacity within a year or so as your fish grow, and you will need to make decisions about what to do with them. Good luck!
Thanks Comet Keith. That is some great information. Especially about what age your fish were before they spawned. My fish are all under a year old so hopefully I won't have to deal with fry for at least another year. That is unless I decide to use the Barry White method. ;)
I realize that their are allot of factors with growth. But hearing from you folks lets me learn and chat about the hobby.
I realize that I am close to max population, but my friend at the aquarium store knows me well. He ordered some really nice shabumkins and when I came in to get 2 I left with 5. Like a kid in a candy store.
As they grow I am aware that I will need to choose who will go back to the store to be sold to a new home.
Its a good relationship, I get to keep more fish and my friend gets larger fish that he can resell.
I currently have two filters, a biofilter that I made, that is a small stream in a box. This not only gives me biofiltration but also greater surface area. I also have a box mechanical/ bio filter that is in the pond itself. The pond cycles it full volume about three times per hour.
My PH is 7.4, ammonia 0, NO2 O, N03 0.05PPM. I have about a dozen live plants in the pond and am adding more as the weather allows. Still in the high 30s to low 40s at night.
I have both salt and fresh water fish for over 40 years. So I just naturally treat my small pond as if it were a large fish tank. To include changing 1/3 of the water once a week and vacuuming out fish waste in the process.
Thanks again for the great infoe.:)

Last edited:

Ask a Question