Goldfish had a rough day

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My male watonai had a rough day.

He past seveal days this watonai had been a bi shy, I though, because he would come out only to eat. I didn't see anything won't with him as he was eating. Sometimes he wouldn't show up I didn't worry.

Today I noiticed a white dot on his fin so I looked closely, his body seemed to have some scratched like he got stuck on some tight space and tried to get out. After closer observation the white dot is probably from the injured fin. Th fins look split. When I took him out I don't see the white spot anymore, just saw red spot like the fin got cut at th tip.

WHat do you think?

Water is good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Some pictures
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First and second pics - if you look closely to the white part of the body there is a pale red streak, also the middle fin, the one that' looks like black stick, has red end like it broke.

Third pic- body after gill, the scales seem weird like thry got scraped flat so now they look a bit flakey.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Most probably he's damaged it Nepen just keep a good eather eye on it for now should it get worse let us know asap but these things normallly have a habit of sorting themselves out though .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you Dave. You do think it's not any other disease?

His fins are split, will that heal too?

What should I look for in a long run? How to recognize infection? And how to treat it?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Darn, well I think I've deleted a couple of pictures I wanted to show you, Nepen. Regarding my recently purchased Wakin & Watonai, one of them popped up with mysterious " bruising" in the week or 2 after I received them. Both sides of the fish had spots, that at first glance, looked like missing scales, but the scales were intact. These "bruises" just appeared one day, and increased in number over a few days. I took it to be something to do with the handling process from the seller. Long story short, the fish were still in QT, and I had the water salted, but I took this guy out for daily salt baths. He eventually got better and the "bruises" disappeared like they'd never been there. Did the salt baths help? Who knows, but I think they did. Maybe giving your guy a couple of salt baths might help.....

This is the same fish that appeared to have a broken dorsal ray. That also mysteriously went away, so now I'm thinking it was something that was either stuck to the fin, or through it.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Nepen These were taken back in April, I believe.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Thank goodness for Face Book! I had the photos saved there as well.... I just wanted to show you these, as I was SOOOO worried about this guy, as you are with yours. I'd PM'd these photos to another member for advice -- I was too embarrassed to post them on GPF.....:notworthy: Fish is perfectly fine now, but he sure did look pitiful there for a while.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The damage to the dorsal fin is what we term as a ding Nepen they arent anything to worry over its where the fish has hit an object weve seen hundereds over the last 27 years non of them has become infected they heal on there own as Maggie is showing you in these photo's .
When we loose fish we become paraniod and every slight knock becomes terminal in our eyes which of course it isnt .
Thank you Dave. You do think it's not any other disease?

His fins are split, will that heal too?

What should I look for in a long run? How to recognize infection? And how to treat it?

So you really want to learn your diseases and illnesses bacterias and viruses yes Nepen ?
These books are non koi and I strongly recomend that you buy them read them and equip youreself to be able to cope with your fishes health issues :-
Goldfish & Koi in your home ISBN 0866220410.Dr H R Axelrod, William Vorderwinkler
Fish and their behaviour ISBN 3923880197. Günter KH Zupac.
The Manual of Fish Health ISBN 0861013869. Dr Chris Andrews Adrian Exell, Dr Neville Carrington.
Hand Book of Fish Diseases (All Fish) ISBN 0866227032. Dieter Untergasser.
Fancy Goldfish "A complete guide to care and collecting" ISBN 1859749577 Dr Erik L Johnson DVM Richard E Hess Photography by Fred Rozenweig
These books will help you all are available on Amazon and ebay all you have to do is track them down and buy them then perhaps in a number of years you'll be doing the same as we do in helping folks with their fish problems .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Maggie for the pictures so I can compare. It looks similar alright.

I think it's a rough playing here now since it's been 3 weeks since he arrived and this morning I saw him get chased and bump just like he's a female!!! Today my shubby spawned again (4th-5th time this season!!) and while the shubby got chased, theis one also got chased but to the lesser degree. He must've got mistake as a girl but the seller confirmed he's a he (can that be a mistake?)

The other day when I took his picture I gave him a quick salt bath, the next day he seemed a lot more lively and today he came out by himself. He's been a good eater and appear hungry the whole time lol. He seems better today health wise and the side scratch seems to be healing because it's hard to see now.

Thanks Dave for assuring me. I'm glad it's nothing and he can heal. He's the smallest and the slowest so he might get bullied :( I'm thinking of some more hiding place for him.

I'll check the books. I still have the interpret book that I should re-read :)

Anya

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Anya that book should be your fishy bible by now read a bit each night and you'll soon be up to speed on anything that may happen in the pond:)
Do you know we still use ours 27 years on , its battered and dog eared and held together with tape but its still used its the book that started us off the company that published it salamander sold it to Interpet or were taken over by them .
Dings like in the photo can also appear on the tail and any other fin so learn to tell a ding from whitespot or Ich once your used to identifying things mistakes are rarely made :cool:

Dave(y)

Ask a Question