Goldfish illness

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
Acquired a mature goldfish pond when we bought our house 3 years ago. We have had no serious concerns until last week. Had begun to use algacide about 5-6 weeks ago. Last wee Monday we found all fish to be lethargic, not eating and slow response, the day after our last algae treatment. Did about a 50% water change the following day. Added salt, ammonia remover dechlore and areator to bottom of pond (have water fall as well).Had water tested at local pond store. Salt came back slight high.
Here we are a week later. No fish have died. Most fish had rebounded, though about 8 fish continue to be slow at responding and hanging out at the top of the water. If I put my hand in to grab they will swim off and return a few minutes later. About 6 of the fish are together with the other two each being by themselves . I noticed all 8 fish have red streaks on the back where the fins are. I have noticed one fish with what appears to be orange color fading on his face. Looking for suggestions on what this may be and how to proceed with treatment.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20190616_202205387.jpg
    IMG_20190616_202205387.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 321

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Hunter09 I never add any of that stuff. Algae will go away on it's own and if not fish don't care. A water addition now and then w/slow water in and slow water out won't hurt but all that other stuff I would omit. Course if you have chlorine/chloromine then you will add that and if your ammonia is high then treat that. You don't need salt. Fish sometimes will be shocked by all the stuff added that they don't really need especially when added all at once in a short time period. You may need to do the slow water in/out again to get rid of all that stuff you added. How high was the ammonia?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We used the algae killer due to a lot of string algae on our waterfall. Surprisingly, since this incident our waterfall has looked good. We had been getting a good amount of string algae this year though.
I added ammonia remover when I did the water change. Tested the water next day and ammonia was fine as per pond store. No number given.

Since I had returned home for the day only 3 fish appear to be hiding in total and fish behavior appears normal. Maybe a little worried due to the week response rate, but as mentioned, this is our first real concern so.i.might be overworrying.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Algaecides will kill the algae but then you have the dead algae in the pond feeding more algae. It's better to figure out why the algae is growing and change that than a quick fix that can cause more problems. The red streaks could be from elevated ammonia levels. How big is your pond? How many fish and what kind?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Goldfish are pretty tough. My guess is that they reacted to the algae treatment and the subsequent drop in oxygen level in the pond. When fish are "not right" the tend to go off on their own (or hide). When oxygen is low they tend to hover near the surface as that has highest levels of oxygen. I suspect that it has self corrected and as they are recovering your worrying has been what most pond owner would do as we dont like to see our pets suffer. Dont do anything as long as they continue to recover would be my advice.

Ask a Question