Goldfish??? In wildlife pond. Please identify and advise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, took a photo of 2 of the 4 fish which appeared in my small unfiltered wildlife pond a couple months ago. In this pic they really do look like goldfish... they looked much darker from above... they're 2+ in long. Can anyone confirm they're goldies, and if not, what are they?
If goldies, I have a dilemma. I would want to rehome as pond really not suitable. I don't know whether I should put them in my larger filtered goldfish pond till rehoming, as it's already overstocked and having ammonia issues - also would my 4 x 6 to 7 in goldies eat or bully them? Really appreciate any advice. Can't load photo from phone to this site and have no other format... Will try and get them identified on FB, or can WhatsApp or email image sorry in a panic! But if goldies what's the best thing for them? Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, took a photo of 2 of the 4 fish which appeared in my small unfiltered wildlife pond a couple months ago. In this pic they really do look like goldfish... they looked much darker from above... they're 2+ in long. Can anyone confirm they're goldies, and if not, what are they?
If goldies, I have a dilemma. I would want to rehome as pond really not suitable. I don't know whether I should put them in my larger filtered goldfish pond till rehoming, as it's already overstocked and having ammonia issues - also would my 4 x 6 to 7 in goldies eat or bully them? Really appreciate any advice. Can't load photo from phone to this site and have no other format... Will try and get them identified on FB, or can WhatsApp or email image sorry in a panic! But if goldies what's the best thing for them? Thanks
Are goldies apparently...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
What concerns you for the goldfish in the wildlife pond? Your bigger goldfish are unlikely to bully them and definitely won't eat them, but if your goldie pond has ammonia issues, another few fish isn't the right move for "anyone". The small goldfish should be quarantined before putting them in your regular pond, in my opinion, and a quarantine tank could be an indoor aquarium with filtration and aeration, since there aren't many and they are small fish, until you can rehome them. Make sense? Happy to hear others' opinions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for replying. I guess given the issues I've had with my goldfish pond, I'm worried about the wildlife pond babies being in an unsuitable pond. They are growing almost an inch in 2 months so maybe should accept they are thriving - although best rehomed asap!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Goldfish are very hardy and they sound as if they're doing well. I'm a goldie lover, so appreciate your good efforts on their behalf. Have a good day.

Ask a Question