JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hey all,

I have some $0.37 Petco feeder fish in my trough pond, a couple of which are at least 2 years old. One of them stopped showing up when I checked on them (usually at night after work, via flashlight) so I figured a critter had gotten it. Then I saw it beside one of the blocks supporting a planter, but on its side looking dead. I poked at it and it 'woke up' and swam into a hiding spot. A week or so went by without me seeing it, so again I thought it was dead, but tonight I saw it again, still looking deadish and sideways, and again it woke up and swam into hiding.

The water is still too cold for feeding, but things are starting to wake up. The other fish look great, and in fact the tipsy fish has nice scales and looks otherwise healthy. I haven't really done any spring/seasonal stuff with the pond yet, no plant moving or anything crazy. I haven't done a water test yet (been ill with the flu for a couple weeks) but will tomorrow.

Is this a swim bladder thing? Age related? Weather/temps?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had two that did this this spring. One died. The other seemed to mostly recover but I could tell he was not swimming quite right. Now I haven't seen the second for a week and assume he's gone. This was their first winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just started feeding mine a few days ago (water temp 56), just once a day. Today when I was feeding, I noticed one of my shubbies swimming kinda cockeyed. I, surprisingly, was able to net this guy (the first try) and separated him. So, now I'm thinking he has swim bladder. What do you do for this?? I've read so many articles on it, with so many "remedies". Is there a cure?? Is it contagious? Can I put him back in the pond?? Just don't know what to do for the little guy.
I did check the water quality and it's all ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't know what's wrong with your gold fish, but I've read some fish just don't do well in cold temps....perhaps this is the case for this little fella. Hopefully with warming temps, he'll rally.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My experience....

Cold weather reactions vary year to year. Last year my blue Oranda had floating issues mid winter. This year it behaved normal.

This year my new bicolored ranchu, pearlscale and a triple colored oranda (all new) had issues. A week inside they got better and I kept them till spring then returned all 3 but the pearlscale returned to its poor behavior.

Moral of the story: not all fish do well in the cold especially the fancies and even the single tails if the temperature they are used to is higher. If you add fish in the late fall or winter or early spring, you risk them getting sick. Also just cause u did poorly this year it doesn't mean you will next year. The fish adapt often.

Ask a Question