Goldfish lying on side - alive - no movement

Reaction score
Hi all, my pond is full of healthy goldfish BUT one fish was found listless and lying on its side just below the pond surface.. When I went to remove from the pond it had sufficient "get-up-and-go" to upright itself and dive. But within a minute it was back again to lying close to surface on its side. I have removed and placed in a shallow tank. Fish now lies at the bottom of the tank (not top) on its side and hardly ever moves. Will right itself for a second or two if it feels frightened by my presence and then returns to lying on its side at the bottom of the tank. Fish initially did seem to be bloated (not excessivley)- pine-coned (not markedly) but these traits seem to have subsided. However fish remains listless on its side. No other features to behold externally - fish looks a picture of health. Any ideas on what this could be and whether any remedial action is feasible/recommended. Many thanks. PS - timeline so far is three days.

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
If it was me , id use a preist, you done the correct thing, by taking it away from the other fish. Keep a close watch on the remaining fish, as to what caused it i ll leave that to the experts on this site. A friend of mine 41/2 years ago had a goldfish which had a pellet stuck in throat, that was on its side, died the next day.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can try adding salt (aquarium or rock salt) 1 cup per 100 gallons, add a good airstone or get some very good areation going, keep the water fairly warm, 70-75 degrees would be best. Monitor. If it is eating it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a antibacteria medicated fish food. But from the sounds of it I doubt it's eating.

Ask a Question