Goldfish Missing Scales

Reaction score
A few days ago when I was feeding the fish I thought I saw a scale floating down (now that I can actually see my fishys!). I didn't investigate more, I just thought it was a scale fell off during the feeding frenzy.

Today I noticed one of my gorgeous long fin goldfish is missing a few scales (maybe 5?). It has bright orange scales so the missing scale is quite obvious.

Any thoughts? Possible mating? We had some cool weather (if that's what you want to call it) and its heating back up now).

Disease? Problems? Or just scales fall off for various reasons?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Keep a eye on the fish but sounds like nothing to worry about. Might have rubbed something, if water quality is good you should be fine. A couple had it happen this season too. They all are fine.

Reaction score
Keep a eye on the fish but sounds like nothing to worry about. Might have rubbed something, if water quality is good you should be fine. A couple had it happen this season too. They all are fine.

Thanks. I think its fine too. I just like to double check.

Ask a Question