Goldfish on its side

Reaction score
This is after the fact but I am curious. I have some large goldfish, several years old. Summer of 2014 one of them started lying on its side at the bottom of the pond. At first I thought it was dead but when I went to scoop it up it swam away. It was like this for several months: it fed enthusiastically but swam more like a tadpole than a fish. It made it through the winter with the other fish and lived until the summer of 2015. Then all of a sudden it died. I'm wondering what caused this? Don't want to lose any more: they are my pride and joy especially since a couple of years they had babies:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you test your water ,how big is the pond and what kind of filter do you use

Reaction score
do you test your water ,how big is the pond and what kind of filter do you use
It is a 60 gallon. I do not test the water. I have a Pondmaster filter/bubbler. I change the filter once a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm... 60 gallons sounds pretty small if the goldfish are large. I would suspect your water quality is not optimal and that is creating disease in your fish. What was okay a few years ago may not be sufficient now. For example a 10" fish produces 100 times more waste than a 2" fish.

Ask a Question