GOLDFISH PERSONALITIES -- BREED SPECIFIC or INDIVIDUAL TO THE FISH?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:) Have been observing my goldfish [comets, fantails, shubies, and a couple of ryukins], and I'm starting to notice some differences in their personalities. Well, maybe "personalitiy" isn't the best description, but noticing that some are more friendly, more interactive, etc., than others, & wondering if the type of goldfish has anything to do with it?? Have learned that koi tend to make better "pets," but that's beside the point....:)

SHUBINKINS: I hardly ever see my shubies -- not even sure they still exist, but they ARE the newest, therefore smallest additions to the pond. Maybe they're still in "avoid predator" mode? Makes sense that the newest, youngest, and smallest would be the most fearful - least likely to interact. Can't wait for them to get bigger!

COMETS: They are around all the time, and the most visible -- they are among the first batch I got, so are bigger and more seasoned, but not interested in interacting. And my "Mystery" has really just started making himself visible in the group -- same purchase-group as the rest of the comets.

FANTAILS & RYUKINS: Quite frankly, looking at them from above, I can't tell the fantails from the Ryukins, but this "group" seems to be the most friendly, most interactive, most willing to be pets. Two of the FT's are the originals [before I added comets], and any other FT's and the Ryukins came close to the end [end meaning the last time I bought fish] about when I got the Shubies. When I'm in the water, there are a couple [and one in particular] that I can literally pick up -- doesn't seem to bother the fish at all. There is another one that is letting me put my hand close to it w/out it's swimming off. I know that the fancy-tailed fish tend to swim more slowly = can't get away as fast, but I truely think these guys WANT to interact.

Just curious, those of you who have had your goldfish far longer than I have [going on 6 or 7 weeks], do you notice differences based on the "breed" vs. based on their individual personalities?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Each type does have it's own "personalities". Even more noticeable when kept separate than all together in the same pond. The one thing I noticed though right off in your post is the shubunkins. In my pond they are the friendliest first to come up along with Halloween the 14-15" comet. Not all but most of our shubbies will come right up and hand feed with the koi. However, the Oranda's, Ryukins, telescopes, and celestrial eye always avoid the feeding frenzy. Once in a while the lion head will join the group but it's so slow that I can usually feed it off by itself as it will be coming but still be several feet from the main group. It's quick to come up and get food then gets out of the way of the stampede. Common olive brown comets tend to be the most elusive. They don't ever come in with the group and almost always can be found near the bottom grazing for left overs. Goldfish get really tame, not as tame as Koi but close. I seldom have any that like to be petted, But lionhead has to be one of the friendliest in the pond. It loves to come up and swim right by me when I'm in the pond working. Even to the point I can cup my hand and hold it's belly in the cup. I've done this before and it will keep coming back over and over again. has no problem being handled as long as there is not net. once it see's a net, all bets are off. It will hide and not come out for a day or two. And we still don't know where it's hiding place is. lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Larkin, so you have some of the more "exotic" goldfish! And they do OK? When I read about the fancies, always came across the caution that they might not do well in ponds for one reason or the other -- climate, tendency toward injury, etc.

And what is a "celestial eye?" Have heard about the others, but that's a new one. OMG! Don't answer that -- just GOOGLED it...... Sorry, but that's a creepy looking fish!!

I thought I'd read that shubunkins are the most "koi-like" of the goldfish. Haven't seen any of my shubies lately (have 3 or 4), but with the PVC support frame under the "turtle pond," there is a good 10' x 4' covered place for hiding where I'd NEVER see them. There's been nothing to indicate illness or injury, so I hope they're just hiding due to size. I'll have to spend more time looking for them.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I have comets, shubbies, koi, and then some fan tailed comets, And actually my shubbies are the first ones to come and take food out of my hand. So, i guess it probably all depends on the age, what order they went into the pond and all that.

I used to have a Ryukin, but after he died, then I read more about them being more prone to stomach issues, which is a bad thing here if there are under ice for 4 months and you don't know there is an issue, and them being a slow moving target for predators. I decided not to get any more, but he was really the happiest friendliest little guy in the pond when I had him.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had read something about their "intestinal" problems [Ryukins]. The one's I got aren't as extreme looking as most of the ones I've seen pictured, so maybe this won't be a problem with them. They really do look sort of normal, like fantails, so wonder if the pet store goofed when they labeled them for sale. But these are my friendliest, so far.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, the fancies I have to be prepared to bring inside if there is going to be ice on the pond. they don't do as well in the extremes of cold, But they seem to do quite fine in our heat. Ryukins, I have kept outside through the winter in mild winters. I've never really been a fan of the weird eye and weird cap goldfish. But the wife really likes them and they do get your attention in the pond so we have a few. I have to say, the lionhead we have now is one of my favorites more because of his personality than his shape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I only have comets and shubunkins. When they see people they act pretty much like koi and come rushing at them with their mouths opens waiting to get fed. They are both equally friendly. I have noticed that when they are breeding they stayed relatively separate. The shubs chased the shubs and the comets chased other comets. I have found that my younger shubunkins are more aggressive feeding off the bottom for particles of food whereas some of my younger comets won't do that at all and like to stay closer to the top of the water. I think some of this might be to body type and the comets are probably quicker and have more slender bodies and at this point very dark in coloration. At night my largest shubunkin who is a female zips around the pond to the point where she will make a nice size splash. I haven't see the comets do it to the same extent. Supposedly shubunkins are simply calico goldfish and I am always surprised when someone says they have goldfish and shubunkins.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am enjoying the read -- hearing about your [y'all's?] fish!

I decided to study my guys & girls so I can get to know them better. Took a break from yard work and sat pondside with pen & paper for 1/2 hour or so. Was able to draw [quickly!] some markings & characteristics of at least 15 individuals: comets & "fancy-tails" [I'll lump the fantails & Ryukins together as "fancy-tails"]. Actually did spot at least 2 shubies [maybe a 3rd], but they didn't stick around long enough for me to "sketch" their ID marks. It was a relaxing period and think I'll do it more often. Will be interesting to see if any of them "change" colors or markings. There is one comet that is white with a small splotch of orange at the base of his dorsal fin. But he's a spooky guy -- has red-orange spots over both eyes and when you look at him just right -- oooh, shivers -- looks almost evil! LOL! But, again, it was the "fancy-tails" that were the most interactive.

Ask a Question