Goldfish question

Hex

Reaction score
I HAVE ONE GOLDFISH THAT IS MISSING SOME SCALES. THERE IS SOME SPOTS WHERE HE COULD GET BEHIND A ROCK POSSIBLY, SO WE ARE NOT SURE IF IT IS FROM SOMETHING LIKE THAT OR IF HE IS SICK. OUR OTHER FISH APPEAR TO BE FINE. Water tests are fine except Ph is high. By the time you read this ph will be in normal ranges again. Sorry for all the caps i am doing this pondsideon my tablet.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Goldfish can injure themselves and lose scales, not that uncommon and unless an infection sets in then they usually grow back no problem. What does worry me is your PH is to high and your going to adjust it to be correct by the time I read this. PH adjustments need to be made over days or weeks. not hours. Most goldfish and or koi can handle the high PH better than they can handle swings or shifts in PH. even a .5 swing in PH during the day can be far more dangerous than a ph of say 8.4 or 8.6 unless there is ammonia present. then there is a whole new issue to deal with.

Hex

Reaction score
I did not change ph like i said. I reviewed before water change and did nothing. He is in his own tank now to recover and make sure hes not going to share his condition if it is a condition.

Reaction score
Is the fish otherwise acting normal? and where (s)he lost the scales, does the skin look clean? or does it look irritated? We have one little koi who in feeding frenzies bashes its tail on a rock... scratched himself/herself pretty good... (s)he was a bright orange from one end to the other, now (s)he has a few white scales (perfect white scales LOL) where they grew back. Now I can tell my "twins" apart LOL.

Hex

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. He is acting normal considering he is away from his school. The arwa looks clean and not unhealthy in any way.

Hex

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. He is acting normal considering he is away from his school. The arwa looks clean and not unhealthy in any way.

Attachments

• 2012-08-11 20.15.04.jpg
    2012-08-11 20.15.04.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 230
Reaction score
wow... that is a big area... I'm not going to blow it off as just being dumb against the rocks, as I just dont know, but the flesh looks good??? Is (s)he staying in the pond or do you have it in QT? I would lean towards QT with something like start right/stress coat added to the water to give more slime coat... but will let those were more experience with injured fish advise...

Reaction score
plz anypne told me about goldfish its really important for my project...so plz guy s help me and give all the information about Goldfish
i am very thankful to you

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
plz anypne told me about goldfish its really important for my project...so plz guy s help me and give all the information about Goldfish
i am very thankful to you

Start a thread about your project and what you need to know.

Reaction score
hmmm looks like more than just a bump.... Could a rock have fallen in the pond and done that maybe? I've got some pretty good size flint stones that if thrown in or if it fell into the pond and hit one of the fish it could do damage like that. Idk

Reaction score
Doesn't look healthy to me me either. When flesh is white like that I take it to be dead tissue. It could sluff off in the next few days and it will probably be an ulcer, maybe not, but odds are good. If you did want to do something to help the fish the sooner the better. I generally didn't treat fish, so I'm not throwing stones. Just saying if you did.

If I was placing money on the table my bet would be, based on size and shape of the fish and the position of the injury, that "he" is a "she" and this was caused by spawning. Just a guess, playing the odds.

Ask a Question