Goldfish question

Reaction score
Hi, I have 4 goldfish, and 2 small koi. My question is, two of the goldfish have longer, flowier tail fins, while the other ones are rather short, and not as showy. I bought them as "feeder" fish and they are quite good looking now. I was wondering if maybe it may show the gender of them?

Thanks!

lollyfrog

April
Reaction score
From what I know about goldfish which is just a little. Some of the comets have longer tails and some don't. I think you tell gender like koi, the females have rounder bodies and the males have thinner, more torpedo like bodies. I'm sure some others on this board can give you more info. I think common goldfish also have short tails.
Lolly

Reaction score
Okay thanks :bowdown: I think either way I got a really good deal. Feeder fish turned out gorgeous!

lollyfrog

April
Reaction score
I agree, I have at least six feeder goldfish in my pond. Two have black fins that I hope they don't lose. Three, I swear grew an inch in one week after I put them in the pond :bowdown:

Lolly

Reaction score
I think feeders are just small gold fish.

All of those started as feeders. This is my old pond.

Pond15%200021.jpg

lollyfrog

April
Reaction score
Some of my feeders were regular goldfish and some ended up being comets, I guess it just depends on where you get them :)
Nice fish!

Lolly

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Back when I had goldfish in my ponds, all I bought was feeders. I hand selected them and I wound up with some really nice ones.

Ask a Question