Goldfish swimming oddly

Reaction score
I have noticed for sometime now that one of my goldfish about 9" long is swimming strangely. He swims around with his head pointed down all the time. Its not straight down but at an angle. Even when he is close to the surface half his tail is out of the water. I have not looked at him close out of the water but in the water I can not see anything physically wrong. He seem to play and swim around like the others. Do you think there is something wrong with him or is this goldfish just an odd one?
Thanks
Bart

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
sounds like a swim bladder problem.....is it bloated, eyes bulging out or scales lifting? reference the dropsy thread in illness and disease. if none of these other other symptoms are present, feeding green peas (skin the peas first). can aleviate some swimbladder problems ones due to digestive blockage in particular...i had one that started acting similar. after 2 meals of green peas he was fine!.. there are more knowledgable folks here on diseases etc...but it wouldnt hurt to try if no one else rings in.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
im no expert but it could be swim bladder you could try giving him frozen peas cooked in the microwave for about a min then take the outer shell off and feed the peas too your fish ... but there posible is a water problem..try googling swim bladder and see if it looks like your fish ..sorry i cant be more help ...hopefully someone will know more

Reaction score
Ok I will try the green peas but how do you get a fish to eat the peas with 99 other fish in the pond with them?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
peel a bunch...lol.. they will sink to the bottom and your fish will most likely get some, this could secondly be a preventative measure with others. or if you can catch and segregate the affected fish in a rubber made tote or similiar, you could feed him individually. and if it turns out to be something more severe he'll be already segregated for medicating. but that said your fish will all enbjoy the green peas. mine happened because i fed a high protien food in cooler water,he got basically constipated, and swam as you described...i caught him and put him in a tote for a couple days in warmer water and fed the peas.this occured my first year before i knew better.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What is it in peas that helps this condition or is it just using any veggies and they happen to like peas best.........inquiring minds like to know :alieneyesa:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the green peas act as a laxative. make sure theyre skinned tho! the skins are highly undigestable, and can cause further binding.

Reaction score
J.W., I think it's just fiber, and peas are the most delicious food in the world (according to my goldies). They are also a very convenient size and shape to feed. I've tried other green veggies on my fish. They gobble them and then spit them right out when they realize the've been had, LOL.

Ask a Question