Goldfish turned white ??

Reaction score
We have 9 goldfish which we got from my mother in law when her pond sprung a leak. They where only small when we got them a year ago and different colours 3 white 4 red & 2 black, the black ones soon turned red but over the last month 1 red fish has slowly turned white and now 2 other fish are starting to go white ???? Are they just maturing..... or have they've seen a ghost....koi !!!! :( ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine change color start black and then gold and them white with a dot on there head and some even look pink .Normal as they get older

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gee, I don't know...... I do know that GF can change colors, which is normal, but I think there might be other reasons related to health -- so I [personally] would hesitate to jump in with an answer. Most of my experience with color changes has been olive to gold or black to gold or various degrees of white & gold changing -- but not going to white.

Do you know how old they are -- well, you said they were small a year ago..... Do you know how long your MIL had them before you got them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a comet that turned completely white two years ago and now he is turning orange again. No clue why, but he's perfectly healthy. In fact he's the daddy of our pond babies. Maybe he changed to confuse the ladies? :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have a comet that turned completely white two years ago and now he is turning orange again. No clue why, but he's perfectly healthy. In fact he's the daddy of our pond babies. Maybe he changed to confuse the ladies? :)
maybe he changed so he does not have to pay child support or in this case fish support :);)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree it is totally normal for goldfish to change color as they mature/age. I have a big white comet that was mostly orange with a bit of white when she was younger and is now totally white (the change happened slowly) If I wasn't sure that it was her I would think that someone switched fish on me (that's how much her color changed)

Reaction score
Gee, I don't know...... I do know that GF can change colors, which is normal, but I think there might be other reasons related to health -- so I [personally] would hesitate to jump in with an answer. Most of my experience with color changes has been olive to gold or black to gold or various degrees of white & gold changing -- but not going to white.

Do you know how old they are -- well, you said they were small a year ago..... Do you know how long your MIL had them before you got them?

Not sure think she had them for about a year ?? She was given some lilys for here pond and some time later had sml goldfish. So they could be 2-3 yrs old ?? They are doing very well in our pond must be about 6-8 ounces now & very good appetites :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If they are doing well and have good appitites willo then you have nothing to worry about , we think what your seeing is down to the natural sceme of things goldfish colouration wise (y).

Dave

Reaction score
Gold Fish change colors as they grow older but you also have an eye on pond water ecosystem and pH balance to not to face any issues regarding fish health.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My big black goldfish I have had for several years is finally starting to change color. Thought he would never do it but all of a sudden he is.
Not a very good picture but he's the big thing in the middle.
IMG_6167.JPG

Ask a Question