Goldfish Types for a small 140 gallon preformed pond

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 140 gallon preformed liner pond and a waterfall. I am planning to put a couple of small goldfish in it. Which of these types are the hardiest and most suitable for a small pond?

Comet, Common, Fantail, Lionhead, Ryukin, Shubunkin

I looking for something that would be happy and hardy in a small pond. Where would I buy a couple of goldfish? Walmart or some Pet shop?

thanks,
xman

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Welcome Exman,

I have a pond like yours, but it is 365 gallon. I have sellected Shubukins (8) Because they won't get as big as KOI, and they maintain easily in a smaller pond.

So far so good. Three of my Shubunkins are four years old and about eight inches long. The rest are smaller. They are quite tame, and extremely colorful like KOI.

I would post some pictures, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do that.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
The three Shubunkins that I have had for the several years now have weathered the winters here in the Northwest quite well. Periodically the nights here are in the twenties during the winter.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Xman... where do you live? How cold does it get in winter? How deep is the pond? Will you be wintering the fish indoors?

BTW...most stores use comet and common pretty interchangably. Not sure what the difference would be.

Pet stores will have a great price on "feeder" goldfish. Some feeders are really quite lovely... handpick the ones you would like!

Reaction score
I believe that comet goldfish have longer fins that an common goldfish. I have some feeder goldfish in a 40 gal tank since last year and some of them have long flowing fins.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, from what I can find... the comets can have tails almost as long as their bodies.

I have seen some feeders that were quite a bit prettier than some "pet" goldfish. You cannot beat the price either!

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.

Here are some more details

1) Located in TX, min temp in winter 15 F

2) The pond is 18 inches deep

3) I do not prefer to over-winter the fish indoor if I don't have to. I am open to using a heater in the pond during winter months. The pond is in a location that gets 6 - 8 hrs sun.

4) What are feeder fish? are they sold as such?

thanks,
xman

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Pond is shallow... does it freeze over for more than a few days there? Or freeze solid? That could be problmatic. Surface heater may be called for.

"Feeder goldfish" are simply cheap assorted goldfish that are sold to be fed to turtles, other fish, snakes, etc.

If you go to a petstore and see a tank with dozens and dozens of goldfish... they are probably "feeders". They are usually sold by the dozen. They will get about 6 inches long pretty quick and some are quite nice. Some stores may have a problem with you wanting to point out the ones you want... others will not. Mom & Pop stores are usually nicer about it. Retail chains may be ok with it...if you go during off hours (mid morning is best).

Here is a pic of some "feeder" goldfish:
C109.jpg

Reaction score
Robyn,

I do not know if the pond freezes over yet, I am just in the process of building it. I am about 90% complete, still need to hook in the pump. I have seen my bird bath freeze over a few times last winter, but that is only a couple of inches deep.

thanks,
xman

keyplayer

Worst Winter yet...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Canada
Hi,

I have a 140 gallon preformed liner pond and a waterfall. I am planning to put a couple of small goldfish in it. Which of these types are the hardiest and most suitable for a small pond?

Comet, Common, Fantail, Lionhead, Ryukin, Shubunkin

I looking for something that would be happy and hardy in a small pond. Where would I buy a couple of goldfish? Walmart or some Pet shop?

thanks,
xman
My highly dense and VERY mixed stock seem to be doing fine in a system where the dug-and-lined «Main Pond» is somewhat under 500 gallons. It is backed up by three pre-formed ponds so the entire system probably holds about 1000 gallons. I have a large and very efficient natural filter system as well. All told, that setup keeps several dozen fairly large fish seemingly happy, and VERY healthy.

Every case is unique, but I'd venture that you could easily keep 6 to 10 not-too-large fish in that pond. The waterfall should help keep the water healthy but you will absolutely need an efficient (preferably HOME-MADE) organic filter and eschew, please, UV — it destroys all the beneficial bacteria the fish need to keep healthy. If you plant and maintain a colony of duckweed, they won't need much commercial food which adds to the nitrogen load.
CAVEAT: Your fish MAY breed as prolifically as mine so you will want to have a continuing pipeline to accept the overstock — it CAN be a problem.

Ask a Question