goldfish with bad fin

lee

Reaction score
hi all i had a look in my pond 2day and seen 1 of my gold fish just slowly drifting about the pond with what looks like light orange lumps an its tale i got it in a net to take a closer look and it looks like its iver been attacted or had a run in with the pump any idears on wht this could be ?

lee

Reaction score
View attachment 4363[/ATTACH] hi here are some pics of what the fish that as a bad fin any help will be great thanks

Attachments

• Photo0340.jpg
    Photo0340.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Photo0341.jpg
    Photo0341.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 308

lee

Reaction score
hi drdave can my other fish get this and if so should i treat my hole pond as i fink im to late to treat the fish that got the bad fin or will it be ok if i give it a salt bath and be ok till monday to get some antibiotics ?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Melafix is a really good, anti bacterial/anti fungal medication that can be added directly to the pond as the only thing needed once you dose is remove any carbon and do a water change after the medication has been dosed for two-three days, I would get enough to treat at least twice, It appears to me that it is a pretty severe case of fin fungus. Good news is if treated and caught quick enough it very well may survive but yes it is contagious to other fish. It can be caused from males chasing females in the early spring and then the bacteria or fungus attacks the ripped fins after wards.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Melafix is like cool aid. It is not strong enough for something this severe. A professional would never waste their time with it. You can get 100 capsules of an antibiotic at a feed and grain store for $18.00.
1 capsule for every 10 gallons. I would do it in a hospital tank after a salt bath dip.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DrDave said:
Melafix is like cool aid. It is not strong enough for something this severe. A professional would never waste their time with it. You can get 100 capsules of an antibiotic at a feed and grain store for $18.00.
1 capsule for every 10 gallons. I would do it in a hospital tank after a salt bath dip.
I've used melafix but I usually use it as you said, Do a good salt water bath then treat in a small kiddy pool. I'm intrested in in these capsules, A name to ask for? I'm not past trying something new, as said melafix doesn't appear to be a strong antibiotic, More wide spectrum treatment. Also not cheap so finding alternatives is always an eye and ear opener for me.

Ask a Question