Goldfish with black fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have a garden pond of size 10"X6" and we have around 30 fish. Most of them are goldfish, but few in the whitish orange colour, a few are pure orange in colour and one or two of them were black. As I inherited this pond from the previous owner and was a novice in fish petting. I continued managing it as it is. In the last two years, I am seeing the population of black fishes growing, especially this year when I have seen 6 new kiddos. I am just wondering if it is good to have all this mix and continue or do I need to change anything. This mix is working well and has given no problem, but I still thought of asking this forum to gain some more information
I am based out of London, and if anybody wants to take some fishes, do let me know.

Thanks
Jesh

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch of black goldfish with my shubunkins etc. They are goldfish that are the "natural" color. IE a throwback to before they were bred for color. I just let them live in the pond with all the others

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most of the time, when I have some black ones (not the olive color, but black), they start to change color and lose their black by about the 2nd year. It’s a natural camouflage for them, to protect them from predators. Then, when they start to change, it almost happens overnight. I’ll spot a black and orange “spotted” fish that I have never seen before and soon, it’s not there any more. It’s a shame because I like the black color. Do yours keep their black color?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes.. I have many black colours now. Unfortunately they are not easily spotted under the colour of the water in my pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one black one who’s about 3. Biggest fish in the pond and the least noticeable.:cool:

Ask a Question