Goldfish with bump

Reaction score
Country
United States
I removed this goldfish from a not crowded 500 gallon pond last summer due to his lump. (I'm in north Texas which gets pretty hot btw) He was the only fish with a bump. All of my ponds are filtered except the tiny 100 gallon plant pond, I just clean it up once or twice a year. Water quality is good, I use no chemicals, bacteria is natural nitrosomonas and nitrobacter, there are snails in some of them. Probably snails where this fish came from. But not a lot. I don't buy trap doors

I put him in an aquarium by himself, then a 55, now he is in a 29.

I read the yellow worm post at the time I brought him in, but have never used a needle to look for a trematode. There probably were some pond snails in that pond.

I need his aquarium. So I have a tiny pond safe enough in the winter, and he would be the only goldfish in it. But there are tons of pond snails, it's my plant rearing pond.

I can probe for a trematode and move him to a 10 gallon to recover

I can go get clove oil and put him down.

And I saw a fish in my 700 gallon pond with a similar bump. I can't catch it right now. Advice?

Attachments

• DSC_0551.JPG
    DSC_0551.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
this one is eating well and doing well. But the bump can be a virus that really affects young goldfish and if it is a virus, the bucket of young goldfish I have an airstone in had better not go in that tank or they will die. Which is why I need to know what it is. And if it is a virus, how long will it live in the tank without a host.

I can put a little ammonia or fish food in to keep the biological filter going. I have a cycled 20 gallon with tropicals that I can put the babies in as soon as I match pH and temperature, but I do need to know. He's really enjoyed this tank and winter feeding because he's in the house

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had intended when I brought him in, to open the bump. So far it didn't go away in warmer temperatures (that tank was 80 all summer and probably got to 60 now.) He hasn't gotten more. but I am afraid the only way to find out if he is contagious is to put other fish in with him.
Alternatively I can euthanize him humanely and sterilize the tank. Even putting him in the pond without other goldfish, if it is a virus, will contaminate plants that I raise to put in my other ponds. And I think pox can go to koi too

Reaction score
Country
United States
and those warts are caused by herpes virus which is contagious as long as the animal lives. so if i don't want warts in my other ponds, he can't go in there. I think I have read every article on this today while I was waiting for the post to come up.

I have about 30 baby goldfish. I think I will put 5 in with him and find somewhere else for the others. That will give me an answer. Unless someone has a better suggestion

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The fish that I have that have a bump on them are not spreading to other fish unless it takes years to get them or the fish have something different like a small tumor for whatever reason. I suppose the bump thing could be from many different causes and about the only way to really find the answer would be to do a scrape and a biopsy by a professional.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the warts are the pox disease, and warts on humans are definitely a herpes virus. A common one. It's a goldfish. I can't afford a scrape and biopsy by a professional, but I can toss 5 babies in with this one and see what happens.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder how long it takes to find out if it's pox by spreading to the babies?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Doesn't matter, it's all I needed the tank for. I can put the rest in a 20 and feed them up big enough to go outside. So I will have time to find out

Reaction score
Country
United States
so far no new bumps on the 3 babies I put in, but those fish can stay in there a couple of months and we will see. If I put this fish in my pond contagious I would infect a lot more fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
regular warts? I thought it was herpes zoster - or was that chicken pox? Looked it up, you are right, hpv.

I know it is a virus on fish, on part of these lumps. Any idea which one?

Ask a Question