Goldfish with Glofish?

Reaction score
Okay I'm sure this question will upset some but I'm going to ask anyway. I currently have a comet and 3 small koi in a 65 gal tank(koi are going outside to the pond come spring). Water quality is great. I do 20% water changes weekly, clean the filters weekly, and any other upkeep as needed.

I would like to add a little color variety to the tank besides orange, black, and white. I was thinking Glofish. I've spoken to 2 people about this. 1 says it's okay as long as the water quality is maintained, the other says no way. That the 1 is tropical the other cooler climate. According to the Glofish site they can live between low 60's to high 70's temp range.

Your opinions are appreciated and please tell me if I'm missing a variety of fish (with color) that can coexist peacefully with my current tank mates.

Thanks!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
gmo fish! I have seen them at petsmart, never could figure out how they got those colors If you keep your tank clean, why not

Glofish is the name given to genetically modified zebra danios (Brachydanio rerio). Their name is correctly spelled as glofish, but is sometimes incorrectly spelled as glowfish. This is a common mistake because the fish do seem to glow when they encounter environmental toxins.
The difference between regular zebra danios and glofish are that researchers in Singapore added a fluorescence gene from a sea coral to zebra danio eggs to produce glofish. This gene causes the genetically modified fish to fluoresce or light up in the presence of environmental toxins.
Other than this, they are identical to regular zebra danios, with the exception that the genetically modified glofish have neon colors. Regular zebra danios are gold and blue striped or gold and silver striped fish. Both glofish and regular zebra danios are peaceful fish that do well in a community tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'd say go for it. My grandson has some goldfish in his tank with glo fish. Been doing great.

Reaction score
This is where the Glofish will be after QT!! The 2 small Koi were added the other day and they are all adapting well to each other:). Thanks for your responses guys!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 999
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,202
Reaction score
How much filtration do you have on that tank? What do you mean water quality is great? Are you testing for ammonia and nitrate? If so, what are they at? I do not think you will be able to maintain your water quality for long with those 4 fish in there unless you step up the water changes a bit, or you are heavily filtered. When you rinse your filter weekly, are you using chlorinated tap water? As far as the original question goes, you are already stocked pretty much full in that tank. How big are the fish currently in there? Tropical fish are more sensative to large water changes than goldfish and I think as you add more fish, you will obviously be creating more ammonia, and larger changes will be required.

Reaction score
The tank system I'm using was originally set up for saltwater so the filtration is very good. It's a sump system. Water flows over a spillway into a basin with sponges to catch larger debris. I do rinse these with tap water to remove the excess food and such. Their surface area is very small compared to the tank of bio balls in the sump. Plus the amount of water that comes in contact with the sponges is very minimal. From the sponges it's down a tube to a finer cotton like filter, into the bio balls,the carbon and zeolite, and another sponge and some foam I added before being pumped back up into the tank. The pump has a splitter on it directing the water up 2 pipes giving good surface movement. No aerator yet. I do plan on adding one.

Ammonia and nitrites are 0. Do not have a nitrate tester yet. PH is 7.4 and phosphates are 1. I'm not too concerned about the phospates at 1.

The largest koi is about 4 inch the other two not more than 2 inch and a small 2 inch at that(not plump). The Goldie is about 3 inch and apparently content at that size since I haven't noticed any growth in a while. All have great appetites and swim around seemingly happy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been admiring the glofish in Walmart for awhile now but not sure I would want the extra work

Ask a Question