Goldfish with large bumps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hmm ... those tumors are on the top of that goldfish in the first link, and thanks for the video of the surgery procedure. I wish she would have shown the actual cutting off of the tumor. I am getting up the nerve to do this to my fish, first must get come clove oil, have the sedation tank, and the recovery tank, which will house the fish after "surgery" for at least a month, depending on what is found in the bumps. If it is something that is contagious, he will be euthanized.
Note: I just found a pic I had taken of this fish in April, with the bumps showing then. So, that was 6 months ago, see how they have changed since then.
Bumps on 8 inch Comet.JPGBumps on Comet from side view.JPG
The bumps or tumors have definitely gotten larger in 6 months. As soon as I can catch this sucker, I will learn more about what is going on with the bumps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Dave 54 said:
Pecan I can only say so far you have been lucky keep it up an the odds against you getting something will one day catch up with you .

rgrds

Dave
I don't doubt it and after hearing some of these stories I think I will be more careful next time. Luckily I am removing fish and giving them to the pond shop and not adding any for the foreseeable future.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
CountryEscape said:
Hmm ... those tumors are on the top of that goldfish in the first link, and thanks for the video of the surgery procedure. I wish she would have shown the actual cutting off of the tumor. I am getting up the nerve to do this to my fish, first must get come clove oil, have the sedation tank, and the recovery tank, which will house the fish after "surgery" for at least a month, depending on what is found in the bumps. If it is something that is contagious, he will be euthanized.
Note: I just found a pic I had taken of this fish in April, with the bumps showing then. So, that was 6 months ago, see how they have changed since then.
attachicon.gif
Bumps on 8 inch Comet.JPG
attachicon.gif
Bumps on Comet from side view.JPG
The bumps or tumors have definitely gotten larger in 6 months. As soon as I can catch this sucker, I will learn more about what is going on with the bumps.
I used clove oil to put a fish with dropsey out of his misery. Works well for sedation and euthanasia. Good luck CE.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well watching through that video I'm sorry but she had half of that wrong for starters no offense intended and only have her say so that these are tumours .

First off you must put together a dedicated first aid kit for any possiblility you may have to treat, there was little to be seen on the table :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/10984-make-a-complete-first-aid-kit-for-koi-and-goldfish/

One of the top koi authors acctually recomends five seperate kits

There are proceedures to go through when using anesthetic on a fish all include checking just how far the fish is under from light sedation right the way down through to heavy sedation where you can proceed in what you wish to do:-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/10493-anethatizing-you-koi-goldfish-the-various-stages-of/

Cotton buds have a large supply on hand because it requires more than one bud to clean the wound, you never use both ends they are removed from the operatiing area directly after being used.
We were not made aware of possible fish to human cross infection like TB and others :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/10992-zoonosis-its-effects-on-us-humans/

"As such precautions should be used".

There was no baby changing mat a great thing that we koi keepers use to treat our fish on :D nor wet towel which you cover all but the wound site that you are working on .
I saw no saline solution used in washing out the the site, which is something we always use.
No toothbrush to gently scrub down to clean tissue after the dead tissue is cut away, on this fish the dead tissue was left on which may cause problems later on in its recovery.
There was nothing to cauterise the wound with and I only saw what looked like iodine on the table yet there appeared to be non on the wound site.
We always use propolis at the end of a minor operation its natures way of keeping things clean.
She admits that the so called tumour will grow back again my question here is why put this poor fish through what she has done, a vet would have removed all infected tissue so what indeed was the point of this operation.
If it was an explority type of operation thats fine but to attempt something on this scale no sorry... besides there is a whole different setup for this including a a fish tank, sponge with an area cut out to gently hold the fish, a pump and a good length of air pipe
The sponge is set at an angle to the tank which holds it in place in place a fish tank in which the large sponge sits above the anesthetic.
This has mesured out and mixed into the water bellow the sponge.
A small pump is placed below the sponge to pump the anesthetic via a pipe to the fishes mouth where the anesthetic is allowed to wash over the fishes gills to keep it asleep for the duration of the operation the water then perculates back through the sponge to be pumped back up again across the gills and so on etc etc till the operation is completed and the fish is placed in recovery. I only know this way of doing thing's in theory and have never used it before.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I forgot dont pinch the baby changing matt :nono: especially if you have a youngster using one..
Go buy one yourself they cost a pittance and you will only upset the good lady :bowdown: who must always be obeyed

rgrds

Dave :biggrinangelA:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Dave, I am sure now your "cotton buds" refer to what we call cotton "swabs". I'm still trying to figure out what the baby changing mat is. Is it just a waterproof soft matt, I assume? I won't over analyze the situation, just try to do my best with the info that I have, and see what comes out of one bump. I'm glad you said to just check one bump, and see what is inside it, and then decide on the others, as I would have done them all! Or, if a "worm" of some type comes out, then I assume I should lacerate all the bumps to remove the worms? Still gathering info, will try my best to catch him/her this weekend if I gather all the items for the surgery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
CountryEscape said:
Dave, I am sure now your "cotton buds" refer to what we call cotton "swabs". I'm still trying to figure out what the baby changing mat is. Is it just a waterproof soft matt, I assume? I won't over analyze the situation, just try to do my best with the info that I have, and see what comes out of one bump. I'm glad you said to just check one bump, and see what is inside it, and then decide on the others, as I would have done them all! Or, if a "worm" of some type comes out, then I assume I should lacerate all the bumps to remove the worms? Still gathering info, will try my best to catch him/her this weekend if I gather all the items for the surgery.
A baby changing mat hs three raised edges and one flush one they are perfect for doing operatiions on which is why we use them over here lol

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hmm ... never heard or seen anything like that. Will have to check the baby section in the stores, which I've not been to for about 25 years! May be something new that I've never heard of. Goodness knows they are creating new items for babies daily. :blueflower:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, when my kids were little, I used a bathinette, which my mother used when I was little! When I went somewhere and had to change my kids, I used a flat thick mat that just put underneath them that was waterproof, so they weren't on something dirty, and nothing "dirty" came out of their diaper and got on whatever they were laying on! :blueflower: Nope, never saw anything like that before, but it's probably something that is sold here, too, just haven't looked lately. I would think a simple towel covered in something waterproof would give the cushion plus water repellant nature that the fancy pad has, though.

Ask a Question