Goldfish's eye is missing and is acting strange

Reaction score
Country
United States
My gold fish was all of a sudden swimming on the surface by the waterfall alone and at times I would find him in a shallow spot just sitting there. I netted him and noticed his left eye is missing. I haven't seen and birds or predator's around lately. What could this be and what should I do?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1640110808365.gif
@Pef1963
Could be so many different reasons, injured on something sharp like a rock or disease, don't know. Show us what it looks like if you can in a photo. Does the area look clean or is there evidence of fungus etc? Just because you haven't seen preds does not mean they don't sneak in when you aren't looking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My gold fish was all of a sudden swimming on the surface by the waterfall alone and at times I would find him in a shallow spot just sitting there. I netted him and noticed his left eye is missing. I haven't seen and birds or predator's around lately. What could this be and what should I do?
I've had eyeless fish before; they'll get along as well as they can and it might be it's sitting that way so it can see possible dangers coming at it. Other fish will do this, so watch the behavior of your others; any fish doing this will do it to another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A belated weldome, and thanks for your answer. The Plecostomus could be the problem. That is actually what I suspected. They will often attack goldfish at night when no one knows they are acting aggressively. They can live harmoniously for some time, then turn on the goldfish, sucking off their slime coat and pulling out eyes.

If I were you I would find them another home, or at least keep them in a separate pond or tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A belated weldome, and thanks for your answer. The Plecostomus could be the problem. That is actually what I suspected. They will often attack goldfish at night when no one knows they are acting aggressively. They can live harmoniously for some time, then turn on the goldfish, sucking off their slime coat and pulling out eyes.

If I were you I would find them another home, or at least keep them in a separate pond or tank.
totally agree; have had this situation too. And hard to 'monitor' since as you say, they operate at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question