Goldie in trouble

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Hello guys,am back again troubled. For the last two days one of my Goldie's been lying on the aquarium floor with minimal movements and when he moves it's sluggish.yester night hr literary made me loose some sleep and I had to do 20% water changes. What could be the cause of this?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I repeat myself like a mantra.

First two weeks, 90% water change every 3-4 days. After two weeks 90% every 5-6 days. After 6 weeks, 90% weekly.

The fish will be happy and thank you... This assumes maximum filtration needed and a good volume to fish inch ratio. Starting is 20 gallons for the first goldfish then 10 gallon per fish afterwards. You can double that number but your water will need 90%-100% changes more than once a week. It's not good for the fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In neither this thread or the one preceding on the same subject do I find the results of any water testing.
Unless one knows the particular issue or parameter that is causing the problem, an accurate remedy can not be given.
Test the water and post the numeric results, please.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In neither this thread or the one preceding on the same subject do I find the results of any water testing.
Unless one knows the particular issue or parameter that is causing the problem, an accurate remedy can not be given.
Test the water and post the numeric results, please.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Irie. Sorry about your sick goldfish. The garden pond forum is intended for people with ponds. There are some people here that know a lot about aquariums, but it might be better for you to post on a forum that specializes in aquariums.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Hi Irie. Sorry about your sick goldfish. The garden pond forum is intended for people with ponds. There are some people here that know a lot about aquariums, but it might be better for you to post on a forum that specializes in aquariums.
Thanks buddy,any forum you can recommend me?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
People here can help you, but you need to answer the questions asked. I.e. test your water and give us the numerical results.

Otherwise, we are guessing. If I guessed the problem is two fold, you have too many gold fish in two small of a tank ( even if it is already cycled) as was previously mentioned, they will overwhelm the filter system and cause the ammonia and nitrite to rise, which will end up with the death of your fish.

Secondly, is it a new tank that hasn't cycled and established a bacteria population to deal with the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and you have 6-8 goldfish in there. The cycle is going to be very harsh and most likely result in the death of your fish.

As @IPA mentioned at the very least reduce your fish population down to 1 or 2 then either start doing some water changes to reduce the severity of the cycle and/or add a product that has the proper bacteria to help lessen the cycle length and severity. You need a test kit though so you can monitor your water quality and know when the tank is done cycling.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
People here can help you, but you need to answer the questions asked. I.e. test your water and give us the numerical results.

Otherwise, we are guessing. If I guessed the problem is two fold, you have too many gold fish in two small of a tank ( even if it is already cycled) as was previously mentioned, they will overwhelm the filter system and cause the ammonia and nitrite to rise, which will end up with the death of your fish.

Secondly, is it a new tank that hasn't cycled and established a bacteria population to deal with the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and you have 6-8 goldfish in there. The cycle is going to be very harsh and most likely result in the death of your fish.

As @IPA mentioned at the very least reduce your fish population down to 1 or 2 then either start doing some water changes to reduce the severity of the cycle and/or add a product that has the proper bacteria to help lessen the cycle length and severity. You need a test kit though so you can monitor your water quality and know when the tank is done cycling.
That's really sad.I do water change 50% weekly and have used Sera bio nitrivec to aid in cycling

Ask a Question