Goldie out of the water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I went to feed my goldies tonight and immediately noticed one of my goldies missing. As I looked around I found him laying on the stone by the waterfall. They love to fling themselves into the waterfall to be pushed back out only to do it over and over. I immediately scooped him up and put him in the water. Holding him into the fall so the water would flow over him...once he wiggled his tail, maybe a couple minutes, I moved him out of the fall and held him loosely in my hand while he gulped in the water. Eventually he seemed stable enough to let go in the most peaceful part of the pond. Hes swimming around now albeit slowly. My question is will he live? Do i need to prepare myself to lose him. I love them all. This one is called Little Fish because he was the smallest when I got them. Anyone else with this experience? What was the outcome? Very worried fish momma here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
so based on the description I think it will live ok. They are pretty tough. Once it got back into the water and is swimming it is ok. Hopefully it wont jump out in the future. Why do they jump? Have they always done that? they are not rubbing against things in the pond as well are they?
Ray

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for replying Ray. They have always swam into the falls and most of them try to Salmon up it occasionally, though it is very short. It seems almost like a game since they kind of line up and swim into falls and then get pushed back out. Then the next in line goes and on and on. No idea why they jump toward it. Hes still swimming this am. I sure hope none of them do that again. Id ay I was at the very edge of him being gone. The next one might not be so lucky. I am so glad!

Reaction score
Country
United States
And I've never seen them rub against anything or flash...though I'm not sure exactly what fkashing is I assume I'd notice it being a change in their behavior.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
yep you would notice if they are rubbing or flashing. Jumping can be a sign of skin irritation but there would be other symptoms that you dont have so all is good!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine are really goofy with the fast current by the waterfall, too! It's like a water park! I hope your fish makes it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sounds like they are just being playful by hanging by the falls, but could also mean a general lack of oxygen throughout the pond.
How big is your pond, how many fish. Do you have an aerator? If you have plenty of splashing water you might not need an aerator.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Poconojoe,

Sorry it took me so long.

Its 260 g lined pond. We have 8 small goldies, about 4 inches, in there right now. We dont have an aerator but we have 1200g per hour pump so theres a lot of flow. I test fairly regularly and they all seem to be growing, even Little Fish. He's still swimming but he has a darker spot on his side. He is pretty much all white but developing an orange spot on his tail so it's easy to see the darker spot. Is there any way to check oxygen levels?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks bagsmom. Hes still swimming like a champ. Nothing like trauma bonding with a suicidal goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
I'm glad he is doing ok...............mine like to jump around in the waterfall splash too. They sure seem like they are having fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Yep my Koi do the same thing. They love to suck the moss off the waterfall. No easy way to check O2 levels in a pond. The symptoms of low O2 are pretty dramatic and you dont have those symptoms.

Ask a Question