Gonna get wet & dirty tomorrow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As you can see, my pond is mucked up pretty bad. I have the water down about 1/2 way so I can still circulate the filter. Tomorrow i'm going to drain it completely and pressure wash everything.
image.jpg
image.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
only problem with that is you are cleaning all the good stuff and you are starting over .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, Add fresh water and just net out whatever debris might be on the bottom of the pond.

If you have fish in the pond don't forget to use water conditioner. Something like Aquasafe or Prime to remove chlorine and chloramine from the tap water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I wouldn't powerwash it, like Sissy said, all the good stuff would be gone. If you really wanted to, you could try a pond vac if you ant to try to clean the smaller stone. My Oase vac will suck those size stone up out of the stream if i'm not careful though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I have the same sort of muck in my pond, but it doesn't seem to be an issue other than if something stirs up the bottom, the water gets cloudy. I'm having more issues with the algae than with the muck right now.... I have been pulling string algae out of the pond every day. The fish are eating some of it from the rocks inside the pond itself, but it's getting a little overwhelming on the path from the waterfall downward.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
One should never power wash a pond. What nature has taken months to build up to keep the eco-system in balance will be destroyed in short time. The periphyton that covers the rocks and liner is the foundation of the pond's food chain and its recycling center.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't want to sound like I ask for advice and then don't take it, but I just wasn't enjoying my pond the way it was. The only time you could see the fish, was when the LED's were on at night, and then, just barely. I did compromise and just used the garden hose to wash it down, not the pressure washer. I even did the majority of it with a pump and hose, just recirculating the pond water. Anyway, it's refilled now and the fish seem happier; I know I am.
image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol it is your pond, your choice, we all take care of our ponds the way we think that will work for us.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true addy but at least you have a clear pond and it was easier on you to clean it and you not totally starting over .Get some of the barley and peat from pet solutions it works great .I used to use just liquid barley but colleen mentioned peat and guessing because it is barley and peat it really did a great job and at less the 6 dollars for the 16 ounce bottle it is a bargain .We all have a tendency to over react when it comes to power washing ponds .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
true addy but at least you have a clear pond and it was easier on you to clean it and you not totally starting over .Get some of the barley and peat from pet solutions it works great .I used to use just liquid barley but colleen mentioned peat and guessing because it is barley and peat it really did a great job and at less the 6 dollars for the 16 ounce bottle it is a bargain .We all have a tendency to over react when it comes to power washing ponds .

The stance against destruction of the foundation of an aquatic eco-system by any means, including power-washing, is hardly overreacting considering the ensuing problems it may cause.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually like the look of the algae growing on the sides of my pond over looking at the black liner. Gives the fish something to nibble on too. Not so much in my fish tanks though but unless it's really bad I only wipe down the front and side glass.

Ask a Question