Good aquatic plants for a red-eared slider pond? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, folks!
You may already be acquainted with me because of my former posts.

You may also be aware that we currently have a senior/middle-aged female red-eared slider named Teresa.
I was hoping that we could upgrade her to an outdoor pond since she's been living indoors in an undersized tank for most of her life.

No pond is complete without aquatic plants to provide oxygen and natural filtration.
However, our turtle has an aggressive appetite for vegetables.

I would honestly not mind if Teresa munched on the aquatic plants in the pond. They might also serve as a distraction for her so she doesn't chase the fish as often.

However, I would prefer not to go for anything expensive, since that would make her habits kind of annoying.
Even better would be plants that are easily propagated.

I've heard that water hyacinths, water lilies, water lettuce, frogbit, duckweed, anacharis, pondweed, hornwort, and water ferns are good choices, mostly since they are non-toxic, which would be my main concern.

We do live in a pretty cold region (actually freezing) and I'm wondering if that might also determine the choices of plants.
I don't really care about good looks. I'm just looking for good biological filtration and durability/hardiness.

Well, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! God bless!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The question is really not can you move your turtle outdoors rather, it is a question whether you should do so.
Absolutely no. Here is why:
1. Since you live in New Hampshire, I am assuming you acquired the turtle from a legal source (breeder, pet shop etc.) Responsibility comes with acquisition. Responsibility is providing the animal with the best possible care and never releasing a non-native pet into the wild.
2. You have a turtle that is accustomed to captive living. It is not a wild animal.
3. It is highly improbable that you will be able to contain it in any outdoor pond, pool or whatever.
4. The pond you propose is insufficient for the turtle to survive during your harsh winters.
5. Finally, look at your state laws regarding releasing a non-native species into a pond or pool.
I live in Florida and must have a permit to keep my Red Ear Slider. I am fortunate the state allows me to keep him but along with the permit is responsibility and honor. I promised not to let my RES escape. He lives in a reinforced concrete sunroom with hurricane windows meeting Miami/Dade impact requirements. As pet owners, we have an obligation to protect our environment.
I am providing an excerpt of the New Hampshire regulations below:

It is illegal to release the following species in NH (FIS 805):

• All amphibians and reptiles imported into the state
  • All exotic amphibians and reptiles

Water gardens and Outdoor ponds (FIS 804.0.9, 805):
Reptiles and amphibians including tadpoles originating outside of New Hampshire (including but not limited to internet and in-person purchases from water garden suppliers, reptile and amphibian distributors, biological supply companies, and pet stores importing specimens from out-of-state) must be caged or enclosed, and therefore can not be released to outdoor environments, including pools and ponds, in New Hampshire.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I should have mentioned that I will be happy to provide 'lessons learned' if you would like some ideas for improving/expanding your indoor home for Teresa.

Ask a Question