Good border plants

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
I've got an area between my deck & pond that I am trying to do something with.

Thinking about filling it with dirt and making it a border with some plants like creeping jenny to grow over the rocks into the water.

Ideas anyone on what else to put in there? I'll get a pic up in a bit.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here's my San Jose pond with geraniums.
from_koi_pond1.jpg

But pretty much any ground cover would work. It's kind of cool that the plant tip rot as they hit the water so you get this kind of trimmed look without actually having to trim.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thinking about filling it with dirt and making it a border with some plants like creeping jenny to grow over the rocks into the water.

I would do that but add Sweet Woodruff. Such a great ground cover and next Spring it will spread between the rocks and look very natural. It stays green right to winter and was the first thing to grow this spring. It gets little white flowers on it for about a month. Mine was looking really cool after it grew between the cracks of the rocks this year but I had to take out my stream to put in a bog, so next year it should look great. It also fills in nicely and spreads, but spreading is easily controlled since it has shallow roots. Here it is at the bottom of the photo:

DSCN4862t.jpg

and some close ups:
DSCN4897.jpg

DSCN4930.png

here's how it looks most of the year:
DSCN3971t.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some flowing grassy plants hanging over and maybe some creeping Thyme. Lots of little creeping sedums too.
Sedums:
Well tried to load a photo but it won't work now for some reason.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My only concern with filling it in with dirt is that it appears in your pic that it could wash into your pond unless you can bring the liner up between the dirt and your rocks there. You could also use ajuga and it will spread, produces blue flowers in the spring. If it gets shade you could put in lily of the valley, sedum, or even annuals.

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
I could bring up the liner but wasn't planning to. Thought I'd keep the soil just below the pond level.

Ask a Question