Good-bye Dave!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've started this post a half-dozen times already, but couldn't find the words. After a three-year battle with colon cancer, our son has gone to a better place. His sister, my wife and I have been at his side for the past two years, taking him to countless appointments, since his wife still works and couldn't take that much time off. About two months ago he had a seizure, and his driver's license was cancelled. He had asked me to accompany him on his last moose hunt, so we found a "side-by-side" to replace his two quads, which let ME drive on the back roads, while he took over on the dirt trails. Three of his long-time friends shared the rented house, and we spent six days in the bush around Manitouwadge, north of lake Superior. Never saw a moose, no fresh sign, NOTHING! But it was the best week of both our lives for at LEAST the last three years!

About two years ago, Dave had started an Instagram account to document his journey, and possibly help others going through the same thing. Apparently he was successful at this, judging by the number of friends he made, and the number of condolences received in the past week. He told me several times that he believed he was given this cancer so he could help others. If anyone is interested, check out 'daverothcanada' on Instagram. He never complained, and never let the disease get to him, and kept his sense of humour, until his last week. Apparently the harsh chemo treatments had caused his kidneys to fail, essentially poisoning him. We took him in for yet another radiation treatment last Friday, but he was too weak, and was placed in the ICU. On Sunday morning a technician took a blood sample at 7:00 am, and when a nurse checked him ten minutes later, he had passed away. We take solace in the fact that we got to share 46 years with him, but he left us far too soon!

Farewell, David John, loving son, brother, husband, father, and friend of more people than I can count! You will be sadly missed.

John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am so sorry for your loss. Thrilled you had a great last hunt with him.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So very sorry John but wonderful that you got to spend some extra good times w/him before he left.
I miss my son each and every day and will till I see him again in Heaven.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your son has left quite a mark in this world. The undying love of his father, who shared his pain and his sons last days with strangers yet i feel BLESSED by it . My best to you and your family Sir.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry. I lost my best friend to this horrible illness a few years ago. I'm so very sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Our condolences. I had a step uncle that recently fought that, lucky for him it was caught early and he survived. Cancer of any kind is hard. If you can, continue his Instagram account. Use that to continue to help others, and find solace in the successes, and in your good memories.

Ask a Question