Good fish hibernation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,
Re Blagdon Affinity Octagon pond.

I still consider myself a pond newbie (I’ve only had the pond 8 months) and have a question about my goldfish.
I have asked previously about feeding once it gets cold and what tips people have for their well-being. My concern is that I assumed my goldfish would be in hibernation by now. The water is approx 46 degrees most mornings and although docile they still congregate around the glass porthole on the pond and come up to me when I stand over the pond. But they aren’t interested much now in eating.
Up to a week ago they were feeding more than usual presumably to prepare for hibernation but it’s practically stopped now.
I’m sure this is all very normal but just to check should they still be eating if not in hibernation?

Sorry for the questions but the whole unit is my pride and joy and I want to ensure all is well.

Best
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fish don't do a true hibernation. They go into a state of torpor where they slow down and normally go to the warmest part on the pond, the deepest. They are capable of swimming around anytime they want. They aren't unconscious or asleep. They and their metabolism just slow down a lot so they don't need and aren't really interested in food.

As the water gets colder, they will slow down more. Don't worry. Your fish are fine and acting normally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
The guide I go with is when water temp is above 50 degrees Fahrenheit feed them normal pond pellets
When water temp is between 50 and 39 degrees Fahrenheit I feed them spring/fall pond pellets
When the water temperature is below 39 degrees Fahrenheit they get nothing, nor do they want any

Below 42 degrees water temperature the fish just hover, if they’re not under cover

the comets eat more at the colder temperatures than the koi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for this. It has put my mind at rest to know all is well.

Once other question. The Blagdon in pond 5-1 3000 water pump usually gets cleaned out every 2 weeks and I’ve found it’s kept the pond water quality in really good order over the summer. But this time of year there’s hardly any green weed/algae appearing. Can I leave the pump now to just work through the cold months so I do not disturb the fish?

Ask a Question