Good Foods for Great Health

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
THIS THREAD IS FOR THOSE OF US INTERESTED IN GOOD HEALTH, WEIGHT LOSS, ETC... THE BIBLE SAYS "LET YOUR FOOD BE YOUR MEDICINE"... Myself, i just recently, (around thanksgiving) did a bit of a change to my diet. pretty much eliminating processed foods. eating more raw foods and many more vegetables and fruits. my main dish for any meal is a salad. i also starting juicing. i juice at least 2x daily. and average 3 salads a day. i avoid flours, sugars, sodium, glutens, yeasts, and starches and limit my meat intake. i follow the GOMBS nutrient rich food list. GOMBS is G=greens/garlic, O=onions, M=mushrooms,B=beans and berries,S=seeds/nuts. the only breads i now eat are LIVE SPROUTED GRAIN breads and no pastas.
basically i'm looking to share thoughts and ideas. wouldnt mind a few healthy recipes. good health suppliments etc..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2.4 ounces of any kind of nuts eaten daily lowers ldl cholesterol by up to 7% and total by up to 5%
eating several servings of nuts a week slash their cardiovascular risk by up to 74%

Almonds, 22 nuts, lowers ldl cholesterol

pistachios 49 nuts improves hdl cholesterol

peanuts 25-28 reduces ldl

macadamia 10-12 lowers ldl

sunflower seeds 1/4 cup lowers ldl

I have genetically high cholesterol, great good cholesterol, been eating the nuts for a about 3 months now to see if it makes a difference when I see the doc next month. Will be interesting.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats not even the whole story on nuts...nuts contain healthy saturated fats that can multiply the absorbtion of micronutrients found in fruits and vegetables. i'm gonna post a few videos links. i may have posted these before here...but this is some fantastic info. you may want to take notes
http://www.youtube.c.../16/LruyZOzpvnI

http://www.youtube.c.../17/KiBuazIU68s

http://www.youtube.c.../18/pshLDH6oLo4

http://www.youtube.c.../19/kN-yqkMMOHM

theres plenty of other good info on this youtube page as well...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Avocado's good for you too, one of the good fats.

I just typed up a few things on nuts, we have noticed recommendations on eating are heading back to real food. Real heavy cream for your coffee, on and on.

I will check out those links, appreciate it. I refuse to take statins, so trying different ways to control cholesterol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They have a good plain Kirkland brand Greek yogurt that contains the good Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptococcus thermophillus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidus, Lactobacillus casei. Excellent Source of Calcium, Excellent Source of Protein, No Artificial Flavors,Colors or Preservatives and is Gluten Free. You could add your own fruit to it and whatever you like to sweeten it. 10 carbs per cup.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn, can't eat most all the nuts tho, except Macadamia's as all the others have high Oxalate levels which is what the doc thinks caused my kidney stones. They tested the stones and they were calcium oxalate stones. I ate nuts all the time, every day for snacks cuz some are low carb. Ate them for almost 10yrs straight!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess I won't be following this thread, I like all the crap that is bad for you. :razz:

So do I, but my dad had a quad bypass, my mom had mini strokes so doing what I can to stay healthy. But not saying I always follow the good path lol

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
addy...watch those videos, theres blood pressure and cholestrerol info, cancer info breast cancer info, diabetes info... all ways to help chronic conditions thru food. i should mention that they are in order, they are 4 parts of a PBS lecture by Dr. Joel Furhman.....

Reaction score
For me , its genetically impossible to be fat, so i can eat whatever i want, but i can still eat junk. Luckily (or not) Croatia is not developed country so our food production is still old fashioned.
I think the best way to eat healthy is to eat as much as possible your own food. I just had a:

- bread - home baked
- soup with potato and green beans- home grown
- pickled sweet peppers - home grown
-a bit of dry meat - bought

Now after meal im having blackberry wine (home made) with a bit of pepsi (bought)

EDIT: TDS of blackberry wine is 930 ppm :razz:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never been fat, mainly fighting to keep the blood tests normal, sort of like keeping a pond in good condition lol. I don't use chemicals in the pond, don't use chemicals in the body

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I recommend walking at least 10,000 steps each day. Is good for your heart, lungs and overall body health. Does not make me lose weight but help keeps it stable. Addy and I are walking buddy's. Keep each other movin and a shakin,lol! I like the protein powder from Costco made from Whey to have for breakfast sometime before going for my walk. I add flax meal and 1/2 tsp cinnamon to it. I would like to lose about 25 or so pounds but having trouble staying away from the goodies. Trying right now to do more lo carb and stick to it so I can get down to ideal weight and then let the walking keep me there. I find tuna w/ a bit of mayo helps me get through some times when I crave some food when I shouldn't. Can only eat so much of it before you don't have that feeling of wanting to eat everything in sight. Kinda curbs me! So have it in a bowl in the fridge and just snack on it now and then. Can put it on some lettuce,add chopped onion, olives etc. w/ a tomato on top. Also like to snack on Wasa brand sourdough crisp bread. Has 9 g's carbs, 2 g's fiber, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 45 mg's salt, 1g protein. But sorry has some yeast in it. I like to put cream cheese on it or the tuna.

Addy sent me this to show the benefit of cinnamon in your diet:
Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.
Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.

I found this:
Cinnamon has been used for centuries for its strong medicinal purposes. The ancient Chinese found many conditions can be treated with cinnamon, including indigestion, diarrhea, bloating and weight loss. While consuming cinnamon alone cannot help you shed tens of pounds, when taken every day in small amounts, cinnamon can help you lose weight by lowering your body's blood sugar and boosting your metabolism.

Maybe we can all help each other here that are interested in eating right and staying healthy.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
mushrooms and onions have always been something i enjoyed..but i always just sliced & sauteed them together. now i've been buying portabellos and roasting them or baking stuffed. they also are great fixed as a pizza (vegetarian). anyone got any good recipes for them?
both mushrooms and onions have a good amount of antioxidants,and cancer fighters, but mushrooms also contain angiogenesis inhibitors, which inhibit or slow the growth of new blood vessels in tumors, and fat as well. so theyre good in weight loss as well as as cancer prevention.
yes jw...cinnamon can be very helpfull in the control of diabetes.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
jw. my typical breakfast is ...1 egg.... 1 slice of cinnamon raisin 7 sprouted grain bread 16 0z of water, and i juice a 24 oz smoothie of kale, broccoli, spinach, blueberries,and/or blackberries,apple,and acai berry juice for liquid starter. sprouted grain breads are known as manna bread, ezekial bread, and bible breads they have no processed flour,sugars, salts, yeasts, msg, glutens,or starches.added. the grains are sprouted and are naturally highly nutritious. google manna bread to research. starches and flours are metabolized as sugars in the human body.

Reaction score
Just thought I would share a magazine that I once got,it was called Clean Eating and had some really great recipes in it for healthier eating. You can google Clean eating recipes and tons will come up so you don't have to buy the magazine. I myself have gained weight and currently weigh the most I have ever weighed but I am trying really hard to get it back down. I am not a lazy person nor do I eat alot. I think my issue is I can go all day without drinking ANY water and that isn't good for my body but I really do forget to drink,sounds weird but it's true. I love to cook and who can cook and not eat their good food? lol..Anyhow looking forward to reading whatever you all have to share.

Ask a Question