Good friends always stand by and give support

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The coolest part was the one that wasn't trapped stuck by the one that was throughout the whole ordeal. Wait.......sorry, I guess that was the whole point. :) :banghead:

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What really struck me about this video was the behavior of the fish that was not caught in the net. This fish did not exhibit any genetically based 'flight response' which is an ingrained reaction in most all animals when something strange, unknown or threatening is introduced into their environment. Was this a conscious decision on the part of this fish? Was the connection between the two fish that strong as to overcome a genetic instinct? Whatever the explanation it is not anything that one would readily expect from a fish!

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I assume this is an area that has lots of people in the water and that's why the unrestrained fish felt no fear. No matter,I hate to read too much into something like this,it's just a small wonder.

Reaction score
Was the caught fish a female? If so, was the other one (male?) just FOLLOWING his instincts?
John
That was my thought, the male was just hanging around trying mate, but she was too preoccupied with the net to reciprocate with the right moves. He probably didn't even notice the net. I've seen (exhibited :sneaky:) the same sort of behaviour in humans, it just doesn't seem as cute when humans do it. Anyway, it looks like his persistence paid off and he eventually got lucky. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Was the caught fish a female? If so, was the other one (male?) just FOLLOWING his instincts?
Or maybe the other way around. Might be more than just instinct. I suspect they're a mated pair and the dance is long over. On the other hand it may just be a behavior many animals exhibit - coming to the rescue of another of the same species in distress. The fish in the net was increasingly stressed by the ordeal, which led the other to get closer and closer. I was waiting for it to go on the attack.

Anyway, great video! The free fish clearly had a vested interest in the well being of (felt compassion for?) the netted fish. At the most basic level, human compassion is rooted in instinct. All normal humans feel compassion instinctively if another is crying. Thanks for posting.

Ask a Question