Good morning!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by stonecreek1, Oct 29, 2015.

1. stonecreek1

stonecreek1

Good morning. I should have done an intro before my first post but a little late than never! My name is Molly. My husband and I put in a 20,000 gallon koi pond this past summer. We welcomed 20 koi to our pond. Our koi decided to spawn in late August thru September! We had no idea till we started seeing little colors all around the rocks!! We are so excited to be newbies and have the opportunity to try to raise a few ignore own. So along with some advice from a pond enthusiast and our desire to see them (and give us something to do) we put a 300 gallon tank in the basement. We have an external filter system, two air bubble pads, and I am trying to see if I can winter a few hyacinths. Which right now is working out because I have to soak the food and the smash it for many of the babies to eat and I smash it along the plants and they love to nibble it along the plant. I have about 200 babies in there for about 3 weeks now. I had original just pumped the pond water into the tank so I could hopefully save some stress on them. I am still having trouble with getting the water balanced. I took a sample to our pond store and he was only concerned about the PH behind was 9. So he advised vinegar. Which I am not sure it helps. Maybe short term. But I have a sweeper and have been sweeping every other day to remove waste. I have to bags of carbon ammonia remover hanging in there. I have been adding beneficial bacteria 2 times a week. I am not sure I should but the filter flow seems to be slowing and so I have washed the filter pads but been careful not to touch the bio balls. The filter has an inbuilt UV light. Should I just relax and give it more time to cycle? And also, I will attach a picture. I was cleaning the roots of the hyacinth off yesterday thinking that may help and this was in the roots. Does anyone know what it is?? Thanks for all your help so far, and so excited to have this place to find information!!!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

stonecreek1, Oct 29, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. stonecreek1

Tula

Welcome Stonecreek1 :) I live in the Cincinnati area, so a fellow Buckeye! I love your house, what a beautiful setting for your pond.

I believe that is a dragon fly nymph you found on the roots. Looking forward to following your adventure!

Tula, Oct 29, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. stonecreek1

stonecreek1

Thank you! Our home was built in 1823! So it has been a long restoration process! Hence the pond is our unwind time!!! Thanks for the info on the Nymph! I didn't realize they are in the water like that!!! Maybe I will have dragonflies flying around my basement???

stonecreek1, Oct 29, 2015
    Mmathis and Tula like this.
  4. stonecreek1

Dave 54

Yes it is @Tula , I'm worried if they have more in their holding ponds dont forget their main meal is fry and anthing else they can catch in those Killer Jaws dont yoy think

Dave

Dave 54, Oct 29, 2015
  5. stonecreek1

Becky Administrator

Welcome to the forum! You have such a beautiful house and pond (y)

Becky, Oct 29, 2015
    stonecreek1 likes this.
  6. stonecreek1

bettasngoldfish Maria

Your pond is beautiful and those babies are so cute :love:

I have not done so myself but I don't think it is safe to use vinegar in a tank/pond with fish. I'm not sure why they told you to use it but if it was to lower the ph I wouldn't bother playing around with it. It is actually more harmful to your fish to play around with the ph level than to leave it alone.

bettasngoldfish, Oct 29, 2015
    Meyer Jordan and stonecreek1 like this.
  7. stonecreek1

cas

Love your house and pond! Good luck with the fry!

cas, Oct 29, 2015
  8. stonecreek1

MitchM

Welcome Stonecreek.:)

What are your ammonia and nitrite readings in that new tub right now?
    If you have a cycled outdoor pond, with a layer of biofilm/periphyton on it, I would strongly suggest placing a few rocks from your pond in that new tub.
    It's very important to have something in place that can process the ammonia that your fish are excreting.

MitchM, Oct 29, 2015
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  9. stonecreek1

stonecreek1

Wow, I didn't think of that.. Thank you. I could easily grab a few rocks. My Ammonia and Nitrite are high! Nitrite around 3. I have been sweeping it every day and changing about 10% of the water. But, I am not sure if I should be doing that. The babies are still flashing this evening so, I am not sure what else to do that won't stress or hurt them. But I will definitely grab some rocks tomorrow. Thank you!!

stonecreek1, Oct 30, 2015
  10. stonecreek1

sissy sissy

Welcome .Did you use water from your pond as that will help also .Never heard of using vinegar .I has had lots of babies and I have well water and add buckets of pond water and filter stuff from my pond .By the way that is one nice looking pond .You need to get a liquid API test kit and test your self .

sissy, Oct 30, 2015
  11. stonecreek1

stonecreek1

Hi, Thank you for the compliment! It was a labor of love! 35 tons of rocks!!! Yes I originally pumped water from the pond into the indoor tank. But it is a new filter, not the one from outside. We also have well water. We have a softner that the water runs through. I am afraid to bring in any water at this point because it is 40 degrees already and I have the tank at 64 degrees. I agree, I need a liquid API test kit. I am almost an hour from the pond store, so I was thinking of going up again on Saturday with another sample. But, again, I am concerned because he advised me to just keep adding the vinegar to get the PH down. He said not to worry about any other numbers! I have not lost any of the babies recently. But, I can tell they don't seem content. Still flashing and rubbing on the hyacinth.

12. stonecreek1

Thomas Gannon

@stonecreek1 PH is a large part of keeping fish alive and healthy, but a drastic change can negatively impact them. If they are currently surviving more basic water than what is recommended it is best to slowly bring it down. Also I recommend using a product called ph down. Name says it all. Also your pond looks fantastic, one of the best i've seen thus far.

Thomas Gannon, Oct 30, 2015
  13. stonecreek1

Thomas Gannon

@stonecreek1 by a drastic change I mean you don't want to drop more than one on the ph scale in a short amount of time

14. stonecreek1

stonecreek1

Thank you! Quiet a compliment for a project that we took on and completed ourselves with no prior knowledge! I appreciate that!!! I will check into the PH Down and do a little research!

Thomas Gannon likes this.
  15. stonecreek1

Thomas Gannon

@stonecreek1 That was your first one??? Now I'm really impressed

16. stonecreek1

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Welcome!

Mmathis, Oct 30, 2015
    stonecreek1 likes this.
  17. stonecreek1

MitchM

The more rocks the better right now.
    I would stop doing any water changes.
    What number is your PH, ammonia and water temperature?

MitchM, Oct 30, 2015
  18. stonecreek1

stonecreek1

Yes, it was. I just sketched up an idea on paper. My husband rented a mini excavator, and off we went! I had done some you tube and google research to educate myself on the liner and what to order and how to measure and install. From start to finish it was a two and a half week process. I went to a local landfill to get the large rocks! They were very inexpensive because they are just a by-product when digging at a landfill. I was able to get some beautiful large rocks! Anyone looking or wanting to add rocks, check you local landfill if you haven't ever done so!! I had to wash each of the rocks that I got to go around. I got them at a sand and gravel pit. They were filthy. So I did wash and hand place each rock. I will try to add some full views so you can see the entire pond. But thank you! We are very much in love with how it turned out and are or I should say were until it got so cold, relaxing and watching our fish....

19. stonecreek1

stonecreek1

Mitch - the PH is between 7.8 - 9. I have to get a liquid API test kit. Right now I just have the strip test to test everything but PH. I have a liquid test for that. The temp of water is 64. But on the strip test the Nitrate is 0 but the Nitrite is 3-4. Can I ask? Do you think the vinegar could throw off anything in the filter? I feel like it is very slimy and "gunking" up the filter. Is it ok to wash the media, but not the Bio Balls? Or am I washing away any good bacteria I have? It is just the flow of the output has slowed so tremendously that I am concerned that the filter isn't functioning at full capability.

20. stonecreek1

sissy sissy

That ph is not bad as long as it is stable ,when you start messing with it you could really have problems ,mine stays between 8 and 9 .You could bring water in from your out side pond and let it sit to get it up to temps. and like said rocks from your outside pond would help .You can wash the filter material ,just don't over wash it .Just get the heavy stuff off so it does not clog

sissy, Oct 30, 2015
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question