Good pond and bog plants

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I purchased some plants for my pond and small bog today.

I have:
Horsetail
Water Lettuce
Duckweed
Dwarf Bamboo
Arrowhead
Albatrose Lilly

I really want to grow Watercress as well (great in salads).

Has anyone ever grown Watercress? My thought this would be great for the bog area.

My bog will be about 3 X6 feet and 20 inches deep; filled with 3/8 pea gravel with a cleared area (Basin) just before the waterfall into to the pond.

My pond is about 1500 gallons (3-4 feet deep)

Thanks
T

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice collection. I have not tried water cress. Water lettuce did lousy here. I had two, by fall they were a huge 2 inches in size. So don't bother with them any more.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I used to have one of those preformed 3 tier waterfalls in my old pond and always kept watercress in it. I never have tried a bog but it still filtered pretty well just floating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have grown watercress every year. I have heard it is a great oxyginater. I buy it from the local grocery store. I have tried it just about everywhere in my pond, waterfall, skippies, bog etc. I have found it does best in moving water with shade (in the sun mine darted to seed). This year I have it bare root in my skippy that is shaded by the willow tree and it is doing better this year than ever.

I suspect if your bog gets shade the watercress will do very well there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The easiest way to grow lemon grass is to go to the grocery store (prefer Asian ones) and buy a bunch, look for the one that the base does not gets cut off - cut the top off so it's about 3-4 inches long then just put them in water.. it'll grow roots....

I left mine outside all winter (NC winter) thinking that it'll die and I'll have to get a new one, i was wrong, it came back by itself!!

Thanks Sissy for the idea to have them in a bog.. never thought of it and I have it on hand!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Neo said:
I've been looking for lemon grass around here but can't seem to find any.. :(
oriental grocers carry them for cooking and you need good hardy stalks that still have the root bottom .Lemon verbena is much nicer as you get the lemon smell every time you brush against it or rub leaves in you hand .There is also lemon sage that you can get by seeds and grow your self .You can also buy lemon rosemary ,it looks like a christmas pine tree .They sell lots of them at christmas time and after the holiday you can get them even cheaper

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Thanks Sissy. I'll definitely keep my eye out for some Lemon verbena, unfortunately most of the greenhouse/nursery places have closed for the year already. With the limited choices in my area I may have to go the seed route.

I already have a lot of red by my pond and I really think some pops of yellow color would look nice.

Ask a Question